• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When to inform agent of an upcoming holiday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to inform agent of an upcoming holiday?

Currently searching for a new contract. In August I will be getting married, so will be taking two weeks for the wedding.
    Most recruiters seem to just disregard me without even asking the end client as soon as I mention it.
    When would you tell the agent you need to take time off?

I wouldn't - mention it to the client

Comment

agree with VWDan

The further away from the time off, and the longer the initial contract term, the less of an issue it should be.

If, for example, you get offered and start the following week on the 1st of August, on a 2 month contract, the end client may well not be very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I wouldn't - mention it to the client
        During the interview? or after I have been offered the position?

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        agree with VWDan
        If, for example, you get offered and start the following week on the 1st of August, on a 2 month contract, the end client may well not be very happy.
        Hmmm what if it's a 6 month rolling contract? So 3 months in I'll be taking two weeks off.

Comment

I don't think it's uncommon to have 2 weeks holiday in August. The fact that it's a 6 month contract gives you some weight to do it once you've got the role.

I had 5 weeks off in the first 2 months of the contract, so I told both the agent and client. Probably got lucky that they still wanted me.

Comment

Originally posted by mhamzahkhan View Post
            During the interview? or after I have been offered the position?
            Tell the client during the interview. But don't bother telling anyone until the middle of July - people have enough things to think about without keeping track of your shenanigans. From then, simply saying "I will be off for 2 weeks starting 08.05, so you know" is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mhamzahkhan View Post
              Currently searching for a new contract. In August I will be getting married, so will be taking two weeks for the wedding.
              Most recruiters seem to just disregard me without even asking the end client as soon as I mention it.
              When would you tell the agent you need to take time off?
              Tell your finance that you cannot get married as you cannot take 2 weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Tell your finance that you cannot get married as you cannot take 2 weeks off.
                Yep finance will be what suffers once the fiance gets her way!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  Sadly I am the finance in our relationship
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Indeed! I was so distressed at someone swearing on the forum(don't use the m******* word) my brain went

Comment

Working...
                    X