• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When to inform agent of an upcoming holiday?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
    fiancee even (don't know how to do the accent on this keyboard ...)
    Copy paste from here: É - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Difficult one. I find a lot of clients will ask at interview.

Telling the agent before accepting to clear with client is a bad idea. Got strung with this one. Agent didnt mention it and I rock up first day, client had no idea - luckily it wasnt an issue. Thinking about it - you tell agent, agent thinks this is all done and dusted I dont want to upset things now, I'll keep quiet, contractor show up day one job done not my problem after that.

Telling agent holiday plans later - nope. Tell client. I had one agent who said I need to ask them permission for holidays. Told them to get lost and I'd sort it with client and if they really wanted to I'd let them know.

So I did. I'd say "holiday booked, cleared with client, for these dates". I'd get reply back "ok Im happy to authorise that". First few times I pointed out our previous conversatuon but in the end gave up.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
    fiancée

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by mhamzahkhan View Post
    Currently searching for a new contract. In August I will be getting married, so will be taking two weeks for the wedding.
    Most recruiters seem to just disregard me without even asking the end client as soon as I mention it.
    When would you tell the agent you need to take time off?
    Send him a postcard

Leave a comment:

• borderreiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Yep finance will be what suffers once the fiance gets her way!

Leave a comment:

• ceebeepps
    replied
    yes I've learnt the hard way recently, now I don't mention it and suddenly I'm getting interviews!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Permies do have legal rights around holidays but they can be refused in certain situations so hiding it from the client thinking its a given is the wrong way to go.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    For 2 weeks (assuming it's a way off yet) I might not even bother unless the contract prohibits me from taking time off without consent.

Just say 'oh, btw - i won't be around the last 2 weeks of <whenever>'.

Depends on what the role is - urgent deadline approaching so they need extra manpower? then obviously you'll upset someone if you don't mention it.

Assuming it's not a very short contract, then you need some holiday. Permies legally have to have it. You can apply the same for yourself - subbie in if they don't want a gap. If they don't want a subbie then they don't want the continuity a proper consultancy can offer, and therefore they can expect anything other than for you to take holiday.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Mention to the client at the end of the interview. 9 times our of 10 it won't be an issue.

It's that 10th time when you have to decide the contract or the holiday.
    This.

By the end of the interview you should have a rough idea of the project plans and critical deadlines, and you should be able to determine whether those 2 weeks will be critical to the client or whether they can be absorbed. You should also then be in a position where you're not just saying "I'm having two weeks off", but "I'm having two weeks off and it won't affect the overall timelines as we can do x, y and z to ensure the timelines are kept".

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Mention to the client at the end of the interview. 9 times our of 10 it won't be an issue.

It's that 10th time when you have to decide the contract or the holiday.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Never tell an agent about any holiday plans as long as you haven't signed a contract.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Indeed! I was so distressed at someone swearing on the forum(don't use the m******* word) my brain went

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Sadly I am the finance in our relationship

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Tell your finance that you cannot get married as you cannot take 2 weeks off.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by mhamzahkhan View Post
    Currently searching for a new contract. In August I will be getting married, so will be taking two weeks for the wedding.
    Most recruiters seem to just disregard me without even asking the end client as soon as I mention it.
    When would you tell the agent you need to take time off?
    Tell your finance that you cannot get married as you cannot take 2 weeks off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X