• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Robert Half

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Half

Anyone registered with them? I went along yesterday to talk about a role and had to fill in a ton of paperwork - signing a contract before I've even been offered a role is a new experience (they told me it was because their owners were American and it made sure they were SOX compliant) but then they also told me that if I did get offered a role they would need a letter from my accountant saying that I paid myself a salary & accounted for tax & NIC correctly. I couldn't work out if they were saying that I needed to pay all of the ££ from the contract over as salary or just 'a salary'.

Agent was a bit stumped when I asked what happened if you did your own accounting or didn't pay a salary.

I've never had any work through then so not hugely fussed, but is this starting to be common practices with agencies now?

Sounds like a right crock of tulip to me.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 May 2015, 07:23.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
      Anyone registered with them? I went along yesterday to talk about a role and had to fill in a ton of paperwork - signing a contract before I've even been offered a role is a new experience (they told me it was because their owners were American and it made sure they were SOX compliant) but then they also told me that if I did get offered a role they would need a letter from my accountant saying that I paid myself a salary & accounted for tax & NIC correctly. I couldn't work out if they were saying that I needed to pay all of the ££ from the contract over as salary or just 'a salary'.

Agent was a bit stumped when I asked what happened if you did your own accounting or didn't pay a salary.

I've never had any work through then so not hugely fussed, but is this starting to be common practices with agencies now?
      I would be very careful of signing anything that you haven't had reviewed especially if you don't understand it. I wouldn't imagine SOX compliance has anything to do with you being signed up without a role. How can the Federal government hold them to account for people/companies that don't even work for them or provide services?

Personally I would have told them to take a hike.

Also, if you stumped the pimp with a couple of simple questions, how could they possibly hope to be compliant with anything?

Comment

I can't help thinking the real story is lost in translation here. Had to fill a ton of paperwork.... What paperwork? Without exact details we can only guess. Have you signed up to work for them
        at a client like Hays does, or for an EBT?

Difficult to tell. Website looks legit on first scan.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No idea but I can't help but think that you may have signed away some rights if there is any future work from them. This can only favour the agency in my opinion.

Not a good move. I would have walked away without a real contract with a real client.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

These guys are huge in America, part of the S&P 500. Generally well-respected, I doubt there is anything shady / inappropriate going on. Probably just don't understand the UK contracting market very well, if what OP said is anything to go by. If they are making you sign something to do with SOX, they are more focused on US regs than UK, so you might have to be very alert. I don't know how long they've been operating this side of the water.

But they are legit. They probably aren't trying to rip you off. They also may not be particularly interested in helping you stay clear of IR35, for instance.

Comment

Robert Half have great free pens. I was registered with the Edinburgh office and the girl I saw there was quite nice, though probably the only one. She told me she was leaving and I jokingly said that I need to come in and get another free pen before she goes. She saved 6 for me.

Now that she's gone, though. The pens are the only thing they have going for them.

Comment

I have only had the pleasure of dealing with Robert Half the one time, although it didn't go very well ....for them!
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                  I have only had the pleasure of dealing with Robert Half the one time, although it didn't go very well ....for them!
                  They don't do things by halves... I'll get my coat

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post

Robert half are massive in the US. I would not worry

Comment

Working...
                    X