• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Being Awkward

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Being Awkward

Hi,

I recently left a contract after 4 weeks. The pressure was immense, 14/15 hours a day.

I just could put up with it, so I left with no notice.

I took the view the agency had not returned the signed contract and the job was not as described.

I now have a new contract role, however it has been pushed backed by a week, I've lost a weeks income for my Limited Company, as I need to confirm what I've been doing for the last five years.

All is clear except what I've been doing for the last month, i.e the role I've just wrapped, the agency are refusing to confirm my time contracting through them.

I'm asking what can I do about it?

Pathetic I know

Thanks
    G

Why tell anybody anything?

You have a gap of one month. I have a gap of one year.
    I took a year "off" to do some property sorting out.

This is contract land not permie land. Don't bother telling anyone anything.
    It is only a month. Forget about it. Some contracts are turkeys.

That amount of stress on you is not good. It's your health your talking about. You did the right thing.

Chin up, well done and look forward to the next role.

Comment

What can you do about it? Absolutely nothing.

There is no legal requirement for anyone to provide a reference for another person.

There is however case law that indicates if you are going to provide a bad reference its a good idea not to supply one at all then the person you are providing a reference for cannot turn around and sue you for defamation.

I sent you a PM of how to get around this issue in future but the crux of the matter is if the checking form asks for previous employers then you need to recognise that neither agents or clients were your employers. You wouldn't say a plumber who fixed a leaky tap for you in one hour, or the plumber who did that work on the house you were building who was on site for 5 months were your employees would you?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Did you get paid for the 4 weeks?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham1967 View Post
          Hi,

I recently left a contract after 4 weeks. The pressure was immense, 14/15 hours a day.

I just could put up with it, so I left with no notice.

I took the view the agency had not returned the signed contract and the job was not as described.

I now have a new contract role, however it has been pushed backed by a week, I've lost a weeks income for my Limited Company, as I need to confirm what I've been doing for the last five years.

All is clear except what I've been doing for the last month, i.e the role I've just wrapped, the agency are refusing to confirm my time contracting through them.

I'm asking what can I do about it?

Pathetic I know

Thanks
          G
          This is a joke right?

I'm assuming '1967' is your 'proposed' year of birth and you're being asked to explain '1 month' out of the last 5 years for some one who is '48' years old.

I've had long weekends that have lasted longer. 'You weren't working'. :
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            This is a joke right?

I'm assuming '1967' is your 'proposed' year of birth and you're being asked to explain '1 month' out of the last 5 years for some one who is '48' years old.

I've had long weekends that have lasted longer. 'You weren't working'. :
            No it not a joke, its bollocks.

The contract role is in a defence company. I believe its the basic BPSS thats being carried out.

Its ask to confirm what you have been doing for the past five years.

I listed the agents contracted through.

The agent who is doing the BPSS for the client, has stopped me from taking the contract, by pushing it back by a week.

I've already been through I''m working for my Limited Company, but they are having none of it. They are treating the role as if I'm going permie

Its bollocks because I'll of been doing nothing for almost a month if I ever get a start.

All is being asked is the confirmation of the dates highlighted on the CV.

No I didn't get paid, my LTDco invoices out for my services. Which were paid See how easy it is to blur the lines.

Yes its a lesson learn't,

Comment

If the last contract was on your CV, then expect somebody to check, especially for BPSS/SC. You need to prove the last 5 years, if that's done by an agent when in contract, then fine. If out of contract, then somebody needs to vouch for you. That's how it works.

BPSS is a minimum to get you started, then the SC process is the next step (I'd expect this as it's defence role). There is a sticky at the top to read.

The agent wants you on site, he(she) wants their pound of flesh, so have a chat with them and find a way around it. It could be worse though, they could ask for SC before you start.
              Last edited by anonymouse; 3 April 2015, 07:28.

Comment

Seeing as the new contract is defence related and needs a degree of security checking, the OP has 2 option.

He either grovels very hard to the agency he left in the lurch (and even then may not get anywhere) or he looks for another role that isnt going to involve some form of security level checking, enabling him to 'lose' the job he ditched.

Personally, if the first agency are playing hardball, Id look for something else sharpish.

No I didn't get paid, my LTDco invoices out for my services. Which were paid See how easy it is to blur the lines.
                This doesnt make sense to me. You either got paid or you didnt!
                Last edited by BolshieBastard; 3 April 2015, 09:03.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Seeing as the new contract is defence related and needs a degree of security checking, the OP has 2 option.

He either grovels very hard to the agency he left in the lurch (and even then may not get anywhere) or he looks for another role that isnt going to involve some form of security level checking, enabling him to 'lose' the job he ditched.

Personally, if the first agency are playing hardball, Id look for something else sharpish.

This doesnt make sense to me. You either got paid or you didnt!
                  It makes sense however it also makes him out to be arsey and arguing over semantics..
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It makes sense however it also makes him out to be arsey and arguing over semantics..
                    That's how I read it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X