• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terminating Contract Early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminating Contract Early

Hi Guys,

I understand the terminating a contract early is frowned upon and may burn bridges with the client. But I have been offered a contract that is a) longer b) more money c) potentially life changing.

The company I am with at the moment is a small company and my contract does not state any details around termination. Only that I will work for X amount of days.

What are the potential implications? Can they sue me?

I appreciate your help.

Hand in your notice & work the legal amount required on your contract (usually a week) that's all you need to do really.

Do not lose any sleep about burning bridges either you will never work for that client or agency again most likely due to ending the contract early!

Comment

Originally posted by icemancomeths View Post
      Hi Guys,

I understand the terminating a contract early is frowned upon and may burn bridges with the client. But I have been offered a contract that is a) longer b) more money c) potentially life changing.

The company I am with at the moment is a small company and my contract does not state any details around termination. Only that I will work for X amount of days.

What are the potential implications? Can they sue me?

I appreciate your help.
      So you've no termination clause in your contract?

If that's the case, you cant terminate or just walk away. If you do, they could potentially sue you for breach.

Do you have a subbie clause, if so, use that.

If you've no termination clause, you (or your agent if via one) will have to negotiate ending the contract. This may or may not go well depending how hacked off the client is.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Hand in your notice & work the legal amount required on your contract (usually a week) that's all you need to do really.!
        Great advice.. except for the point that he is asking as he has no notice...

I would say that if there is no early termination stated then you cannot give notice. I am a bit surprised you have not found the clause that lets them terminate though. Are you sure you have read the contract thoroughly? Check it again, there should be something about terminations somewhere even if it is only on his side. If it's not there then assume no early termination is allowed.

The best way out of most situations like this, notice period or not is to negotiate. Doesn't matter what is in the contract if you can both come to an agreement you are both comfortable with. A client won't be best pleased but it happens so if you can agree a suitable handover period he may actually appreciate your time.

If you are looking to dump and run then the situation could be very different. Again, mention it to the client as soon as you possibly can and start the negotiation. If you are looking at dumping him in less than a week then it's probably going to get quite nasty.

Is there an agent involved in this? If there is your contract will actually be with the agent and he won't be best pleased. It could be they will instantly walk you so happy days.

Whatever happens don't expect to see your last payment. Agent will refuse to pay. You could fight it but if you do there is a chance he will sue you for breach which could come to considerably more. There are two threads in the last month on this topic. Some say fight for your money and pray you don't get sued. Others say just walk away. A search will find them for you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh and even though I am of the opinion you should never terminate unless in exceptional circumstances I would say the new gig sounds like one of those. Do what you have to, don't feel too bad and then enjoy your life going forwards. What is frowned upon is having a mercenary attitude and thinking this is acceptable all the time.

One word of caution though. I find the thought that a single contract is life changing a little hard to swallow though. I don't know the details but the concept doesn't generally fit. Is it one that will offer training in to new technologies or something? I think you need to understand the details before getting all giddy about it.

Comment

OP... Your move to Aus not come off then?

Comment

I have been offered a contract that is a) longer
              No it isn't.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                OP... Your move to Aus not come off then?
                A baby came along which was a surprise

The contract does not stipulate notice periods etc. Maybe the only solution is to be open and try and negotiate a leave date.

Comment

A baby came along which was a surprise

The contract does not stipulate notice periods etc. Maybe the only solution is to be open and try and negotiate a leave date.
                  Congratulations !

Mate - do what's best for you. I've been contacting nearly 20 years and have had rate cuts, been canned, let go, shown the door - you name it, regardless of what it says in the fookin contract. If it feels good - take it. Have a chat with the decision maker at your current gig - they won't want to keep someone who doesn't want to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    No it isn't.
                    You know what they meant! If you have a contract that is 3 months vs one that is 1 year then the second is longer with the qualifier that either can bin you at a moment's notice. Also if you know that your current project is winding down and you have a new contract that is for a project that has just started then you can be fairly confident that the second will be longer than the first.

Comment

Working...
                    X