• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terminating Contract Early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Go off sick?.. Jeez.. and you call other people for being disguised or wanna be permies. What a dick.

It's a funny coincidence that PC keeps harping on about going off sick as well...
    Nope/ Unix is not me. I do agree with his/her sometimes though ;-)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Not a good idea.

A few organisations I know will keep contracts open for contractors who go off sick. They don't want to be seen as heartless by their permanent employees removing someone who has an illness especially if it's a serious one.

Also sometimes the agent doesn't put the notice in the contract that the client would allow you to have in theirs. So talk to the client and tell them a personal reason why you wish to leave but don't use distance.
      Not if theres, say, 2 months left and you're off sick for 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Why do contractors never get sick?
        Wow, you are a div. You advocated pulling a sickie; i.e. ringing in pretending to be sick when not sick. Unless you were, in fact, advocating that the OP somehow contracts an actual illness so that they are actually sick for the duration of the contract.

Love that you think you're a "proper contractor" because "loyalty is for permies", when in reality you haven't got a clue.

Comment

I can't help thinking claiming you are off sick when you are not just to get out of contractual responsibilities will still constitute breach if not fraud.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
            Wow, you are a div. You advocated pulling a sickie; i.e. ringing in pretending to be sick when not sick. Unless you were, in fact, advocating that the OP somehow contracts an actual illness so that they are actually sick for the duration of the contract.

Love that you think you're a "proper contractor" because "loyalty is for permies", when in reality you haven't got a clue.
            Only if a client forces you to work notice which would result in you missing a lucrative contract.

Comment

Sorry but I'm in the 'look after yourself camp'.

Anyone who claims not to act in their own interests is full of it. We all do it.

BUT, that's not to say you shouldnt think first before you do it. Bailing out will have consequences obviously but you need to weigh it up.

£400/day more, WFH, new tech, project planning to run for 5 years. Would you stay with a gig that had a month left to run with no hope of renewal?

Yes, I'd speak to client and explain the situation. I'd hope MOST would be disappointed but would be ok about it. If they werent I'd bail anyway or phone in sick to be honest.

Completely different to bailing every other gig for £10 more and making up some cock and bull every time. In this sort of scenario it will affect you eventually.

Comment

I can't help thinking claiming you are off sick when you are not just to get out of contractual responsibilities will still constitute breach if not fraud.
                Impossible to prove unless client can prove your working somewhere else I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Impossible to prove unless client can prove your working somewhere else I guess.
                  (cough) doctors note (cough)

Comment

(cough) doctors note (cough)
                    We are not permies, you don't need a doctors note, you tell the client you are unavailable for this period.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                      We are not permies, you don't need a doctors note, you tell the client you are unavailable for this period.
                      You will if they sue you for breach/misrepresentation or anything silly like that.

Either way, it's still a bloody stupid thing to do when you don't need to.

Comment

Working...
                      X