• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh and Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Pensford?
    London?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Dunno who wrote that but there's a lot missing. West Harptree, for instance, is about 500 yards from East Harptree...

The commute from anywhere outside the city is going to be difficult, since that's what the council wants. It won't be much better inside the City, either, unless you fancy your chances on two wheels. Probably best to ignore that aspect and focus on somewhere that's good to live and has some kind of public transport.
      I get from a small village between From and Wells to Bristol Temple Meads in 45 minutes if I leave at 6 am.

BTM also has much better and cheaper parking than Bath Spa (which is actually closer).

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Like Wales.
        and the M32 out of it
        Blood in your poo

Comment

[QUOTE=BA to the Stars;2062557]
          Originally posted by Hardgrafter View Post
          I too have lived in both Edinburgh & Bristol & think both cities are great.

Bristol cons
          • A fair trek to the sea, no beaches etc. Within a two hour drive.

What about Weston-Super-Mare. It's only a couple of junctions down the M5 (no more than 20 miles away)
          I was about to say that, having rented near Bristol Airport whilst working in WSM
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Pensford?
            Clutton?
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

Pensford?
              The other end of the road from the late Acker. Although we're moving out soon, retiring to Wiltshire.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by wettowel View Post
                hi guys, I'm currently contracting as a front-end developer in London, but am considering moving up north to Edinburgh and any advice is greatly appreciated.
                Simple advice, since you've never been there. Catch the train and visit the place.

Bonus advice. Walk through scenic Sighthill / Niddrie / Craigmillar in the evening.

Bonus bonus advice. Visit the place the second week of January. Dress warmly.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Simple advice, since you've never been there. Catch the train and visit the place.

Bonus advice. Walk through scenic Sighthill / Niddrie / Craigmillar in the evening.

Bonus bonus advice. Visit the place the second week of January. Dress warmly.
                  ha, thanks for the reply!

yes, we're going there for a few days next month to see what's it like, but let's face it - a few days are not gonna really tell us much

regarding the areas you've mentioned - are they really WORSE than Stockwell, Barking or Leyton?

and as for the last point - i hate summer! the weather is one of the big factors contributing to our decision. we both like rain, snow and wind - my father in law is a fisherman, so she's pretty tough

Comment

Originally posted by wettowel View Post
                    regarding the areas you've mentioned - are they really WORSE than Stockwell, Barking or Leyton?
                    Let me fix what I said.

Bonus advice. Walk through scenic Sighthill / Niddrie / Craigmillar in the evening, talking loudly in your English accent.

Comment

Let me fix what I said.
                      fair enough

besides that, any are there any other things I should be prepared for?

could you possibly answer the questions I posted in my original post? that would be really helpful!

Comment

Working...
                      X