• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh and Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edinburgh and Bristol

Afternoon all,

Has anybody spent any time in both cities? We have lived in Edinburgh for 8 years but are considering a move South. Bristol is a possibility.

The contract market in Bristol for .Net devs looks great.

Here's what I like about Edinburgh:

- The contract market is strong and I've never struggled for a contract
    - No traffic issues
    - Its safe outside the ropey parts
    - it's compact and easy to walk around
    - Lots of parks and green spaces
    - No end of things to do
    - Great for raising kids
    - Brilliant schools.
    - Can get a 4-5 bed family home for about 400k in a nice area a few miles from the High Street

Any input from people who have lived in both would be appreciated. I'm curious to know how Bristol compares to Edinburgh.

The thing everyone complains about in Bristol is the traffic. I've read allllllll about that one.

Cheers for reading
    Last edited by LivingUpNorth; 27 February 2015, 14:38.

Not many Scots in Bristol. That has to make it the winner hands down!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 February 2015, 14:04.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LivingUpNorth View Post
      Afternoon all,

Has anybody spent any time in both cities? We have lived in Edinburgh for 8 years but are considering a move South. Bristol is a possibility.

The contract market in Bristol for .Net devs looks great.

Here's what I like about Edinburgh:

- The contract market is strong and I've never struggled for a contract
      - No traffic issues
      - Its safe outside the ropey parts
      - it's compact and easy to walk around
      - Lots of parks and green spaces
      - No end of things to do
      - Great for raising kids
      - Brilliant schools.
      - Can get a 4-5 bed bungalow for about 400k in a nice area a few miles from the High Street

Any input from people who have lived in both would be appreciated. I'm curious to know how Bristol compares to Edinburgh.

The thing everyone complains about in Bristol is the traffic. I've read allllllll about that one.

Cheers for reading
      Bristol is gridlocked and anti car. They have some of the most pedantic and pernickaty(sp?) parking wardens in the civilised world. If you like your car, you wont like Bristol.

Id be wary moving lock stock and barrel just because somewhere is 'hot' for jobs at a particular moment.

Other than that, Bristol has some good tourist attractions.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Lol Hey, I'm not a Scot btw.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Bristol is gridlocked and anti car. They have some of the most pedantic and pernickaty(sp?) parking wardens in the civilised world. If you like your car, you wont like Bristol.

Id be wary moving lock stock and barrel just because somewhere is 'hot' for jobs at a particular moment.

Cheers for the post. Well the move would put me closer to family. 30 miles away so that's the motivator.

Comment

racist bastard !

I've worked and stayed in both but not actually lived in either and was on expenses at the time so didn't give a tulip how much it cost.

They doo taaaaahrk fooooony in Brizzle but having said that, they do in Edinburgh tae, ken ?
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Like Wales.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Kinda speaks volumes when you compare the tourist attractions of one city against an entire country and Wales still loses lol.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Like Wales.
                  Yes, in the sense of entertainment (point, laugh etc.).

Comment

Kinda speaks volumes when you compare the tourist attractions of one city against an entire country and Wales still loses lol.
                    Christ guys, take it easy. I'm just interested in how the cities compare.

Comment

Working...
                    X