• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left - client requesting personal laptop audit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Of course the OP could have copied the data on to a stick but without proof that would not be viable in a legal row.

But if the OP refuses to hand over his Laptop to verify that data has been deleted then the company can probably easily prove that he's taken the data on his laptop. The OP will have to show he has deleted the data, but currently he's refusing to.

I have data on laptop.

I copy data to somewhere else

I delete data on laptop as requested

I hand over laptop

They verify I have deleted data from laptop

I still have data somewhere else.

All they have achieved is proving the data is not on the laptop. Them checking the laptop proves nothing, so is a total waste of time.

In fact, if he IS keeping the data when he is not supposed to, he would obviously wipe it from the laptop, and let them check it.

Right?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      I have data on laptop.

I copy data to somewhere else

I delete data on laptop as requested

I hand over laptop

They verify I have deleted data from laptop

I still have data somewhere else.

All they have achieved is proving the data is not on the laptop. Them checking the laptop proves nothing, so is a total waste of time.

In fact, if he IS keeping the data when he is not supposed to, he would obviously wipe it from the laptop, and let them check it.

Right?
      Well they want to make sure that their sensitive data is not simply sitting on a laptop on the 17:15 to Clapham forgotten on a luggage rack. That's why they would like to make sure the data is deleted or there isn't any.

Can you imagine the stink for the security dept if someone stole his laptop and cost their company millions simply because they didn't make sure they had deleted all his data.

It's a security risk, it's part of the security policy and there are reasons for it.

Sensitive data will be interesting to any thief or criminal and should only be on laptops when it's necessary, but certainly not on a laptop from somone who no longer works there.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 February 2015, 15:43.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

How do I steal company data? and
        How do I demonstrate contractually agreed compliance? are two very different questions.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Well they want to make sure that their sensitive data is not simply sitting on a laptop on the 17:15 to Clapham forgotten on a luggage rack. That's why they would like to make sure the data is deleted or there isn't any.

Can you imagine the stink for the security dept if someone stole his laptop and cost their company millions simply because they didn't make sure they had deleted all his data.

It's a security risk, it's part of the security policy and there are reasons for it.

Sensitive data will be interesting to any thief or criminal and should only be on laptops when it's necessary, but certainly not on a laptop from somone who no longer works there.
          Fair enough, but if something is that sensitive (which I don't get the impression this is) they wouldn't let him use his own laptop.

Comment

Fair enough, but if something is that sensitive (which I don't get the impression this is) they wouldn't let him use his own laptop.
            You never know - I use my own equipment and I have access to the payroll and HR data for 80000 employees worldwide.

That's how I got Psychocandy's credit card number and pinned the blame on expertsexchange...
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Source code is sensitive data and usually contractors have source code if they're doing a project.

The question is this an arsey manager who's going to call him in and then carry out a scan whilst his subordinates are sniggering in the background or is this standard procedure.

When an employee leaves they go through a set of standard procedures and the manager will fill out a form and I suspect one of the questions on the form does the contractor have company data on a laptop or perhaps "did the contractor use a private laptop", which he probably does have i.e. source code then they probably demand it gets deleted. Of course they have a simplified policy that covers all sensitive data.

Of course the OP can refuse, and who knows what will happen.

If it was the bank I was working at, they would have hassled you.

I mean at the end of the day this really sounds like some compliance dept not an "arsey" manager having a "bit of fun".

It's the OP'S decision ....personally I'd go in.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 February 2015, 17:20.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

BYOD. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  BYOD. Ugh.
                  I always have my company laptop to hand, whether it be on the corporate network or not. It has all the tools and applications I need to work, a modern copy of Office, my e-mails, copies of media I use often and so on. I'd have thought it'd be standard practice for any consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    You never know - I use my own equipment and I have access to the payroll and HR data for 80000 employees worldwide.

That's how I got Psychocandy's credit card number and pinned the blame on expertsexchange...
                    Ah is that why I can see a subscription to www.ibumdogs.com?
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      I always have my company laptop to hand, whether it be on the corporate network or not. It has all the tools and applications I need to work, a modern copy of Office, my e-mails, copies of media I use often and so on. I'd have thought it'd be standard practice for any consultant.
                      Me too, with clients that allow personal laptops on site. But there's no way my lovely Linux laptop is going on a clients network. It's for running my company, not theirs.

Comment

Working...
                      X