• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

finishing contract at end date - notice period required?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Speak softly and carry a big stick?

Or is that the wrong Roosevelt I'm thinking off?
    Wasn't that Theodore?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Wasn't that Theodore?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        I really dont know why you put up with such shyte. Perhaps you should read an Eleanor Roosevelt quote and empower yourself more?
        Bolshie - read what I wrote again. I didn't put with that shyte. They had an idea in their head and I corrected them. If they chose not to listen what I am I supposed to do - beat it into them? I never agreed to be bound by this.

At the end of the day, their ignorance and/or unwillingness to listen made not a jot of difference to me. I was doing them a favour trying to explain how things work so they're expectations were realistic.

After all, if I had ever decided not to accept one of their last minute extension offers I could have just told them so and walked out. No amount of bleating or moaning would have made a jot of difference to me unless they'd tried to tie me the to the chair. I expect if they'd continued any legal advice they'd obtain would have told them the same.

You can lead a horse to water and all that. It made no difference to me, it was just a bit of a weird attitude.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

right.. I now know what a MOO is.

I dont want to leave on burn terms if I can avoid.
          No point in burning bridges.

Comment

Originally posted by AMH View Post

Comment

I bet you don't really. We are still arguing about it on here... Well some of us anyway.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just wondering if I was to finish my contract at the end of its current cycle, would I be required to work a notice period?
                There is a breach clause in my contract, but not sure if I could be in breach of contract if I decided not to renew & refused to work any notice period.
                If your contract says that you need notice to terminate, then it's for terminations. After the end date noone can terminate the contract because noone is under contract.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  If your contract says that you need notice to terminate, then it's for terminations. After the end date noone can terminate the contract because noone is under contract.
                  no one
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    If your contract says that you need notice to terminate, then it's for terminations. After the end date no one can terminate the contract because no one is under contract.
                    I 100% agree with that.

Comment

I 100% agree with that.
                      Then the day after the contract ends you can simply not turn up.

Although once you're into the last month of the contract I would point the end-date out to the client that it's finishing soon.

I would definitely start look for another contract in the last 2 weeks if they haven't arranged an extension within that time.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X