• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know (definitively) what RBS accepts as "verification of CV gaps"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know (definitively) what RBS accepts as "verification of CV gaps"?

Hi,

I'm due to start 5th Jan with "compliance checks pending"

I have been told that all CV gaps > 1 month must be verified.

I have asked the compliance person at the agency whether that involves printing off bank statements to demonstrate the leading of a normal life and/or some other 'evidence' but they are now on auto-reply until 5th Jan so I thought it was worth posing the question here.

I have heard of cases where one mitigation was to get a note from the accountant stating that the company was being run responsibly during the period in question and I have primed my accountant accordingly.

Can anyone advise?

All input appreciated and merry Christmas to all....

HoT

I had this once with LTSB despite having worked there previously and knew the interviewer.

When the 'offer' came through, Hyphen the agency were utter dicks and insisted I provided 'evidence' of my lifestyle choice not to seek work on some occasions. I asked how they expected me to verify this as it was my choice. They said provide statements by your accountant.

I said you've got or will get a Disclosure Scotland certificate that not only proves Im of good character but also I havent spent time at Her Maj's.

They would not accept this as 'evidence.' I told them where to shove their offer and never to contact me again.

Then a senior account manager <mod snip> contacted me and asked me to reconsider. I said are you serious? I can provide or you can obtain a Disclosure Scotland certificate that proves my character. She said no the client wants proof.

I retorted the DS certificate is far more conclusive proof than a statement from my accountant who doesnt know what my lifestyle choices are plus, Id be effectively telling him what to write.

I also pointed out I'd discussed these break in the interview with the person I knew so no, I wouldnt be providing any other info and she could go swivel.

Good luck is all I'll say.

IMO, contractors need to stop kowtowing to this kind of BS. Its lifestyle choice and \ or tulip market conditions. I dont see why we should have to 'prove' either and until people put their foot down, this tulip will only grow.
    Last edited by cojak; 25 December 2014, 14:57. Reason: Removed anti-ginge/sexist comment
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      I had this once with LTSB despite having worked there previously and knew the interviewer.

When the 'offer' came through, Hyphen the agency were utter dicks and insisted I provided 'evidence' of my lifestyle choice not to seek work on some occasions. I asked how they expected me to verify this as it was my choice. They said provide statements by your accountant.

I said you've got or will get a Disclosure Scotland certificate that not only proves Im of good character but also I havent spent time at Her Maj's.

They would not accept this as 'evidence.' I told them where to shove their offer and never to contact me again.

Then a senior account manager, <mod snip>, contacted me and asked me to reconsider. I said are you serious? I can provide or you can obtain a Disclosure Scotland certificate that proves my character. She said no the client wants proof.

I retorted the DS certificate is far more conclusive proof than a statement from my accountant who doesnt know what my lifestyle choices are plus, Id be effectively telling him what to write.

I also pointed out I'd discussed these break in the interview with the person I knew so no, I wouldnt be providing any other info and she could go swivel.

Who would have said something like that ??

Strangely enough, the agency Bolshie is talking about would accept "I have been trying to procure contract roles" verbally before a 'statement' from your accountant that you'd actually been doing something productive. It's all about ticking them 'compliance' boxes
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Then a senior account manager <mod snip> contacted me and asked me to reconsider. I said are you serious? I can provide or you can obtain a Disclosure Scotland certificate that proves my character. She said no the client wants proof.

IMO, contractors need to stop kowtowing to this kind of BS. Its lifestyle choice and \ or tulip market conditions. I dont see why we should have to 'prove' either and until people put their foot down, this tulip will only grow.
        IMO this is just bloody stupid. Why pop a blood vessel just to cut your own nose off. I mean its one email to the accountant who is probably well used to this and it's all sorted. Kicking off just for the sake of it is just dumb. They have legal processes they have to follow to cover their own back. If DS isn't on their list then it just isn't. Deal with it. No one at that place has the authority or the desire to side step process that puts them and their client at risk. No one gives a tulip what you want.

Just ridiculous.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          IMO this is just bloody stupid. Why pop a blood vessel just to cut your own nose off. I mean its one email to the accountant who is probably well used to this and it's all sorted. Kicking off just for the sake of it is just dumb. They have legal processes they have to follow to cover their own back. If DS isn't on their list then it just isn't. Deal with it. No one at that place has the authority or the desire to side step process that puts them and their client at risk. No one gives a tulip what you want.

Just ridiculous.
          Haha. Just because I had a pop at you the other day. Whatever.

You're right, asking for verification of gaps on your cv is ridiculous. If you want to act like a subserviant employee and kowtow to their stupid requests, be my guest.

The fact of the matter is no one used to be bothered about gaps or if they did, they asked you for an explanation. I have no trouble telling them but I didnt expect to have to back that up separately to a DS certificate.

Then, we got to situation where client's started asked for explanations of 3 month 'breaks.' Crapita ask for explanations for 28 day breaks. Dont you see where this is going?

Instead of ripping shreds off newbies all the time, I think you should take a look at what is happening under your nose.

If you've been contracting more than 5 minutes, you'll possibly have numerous breaks in your cv for all sorts of reasons unless of course people fall into the paranoid 'I mustnt have a break on my cv' mentality.

Now, I wonder who feeds who, the clients asking for 28 day break explanations or the paranoid contractor who darent take a break.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Who would have said something like that ??
            I couldnt possibly comment.

Strangely enough, the agency Bolshie is talking about would accept "I have been trying to procure contract roles" verbally before a 'statement' from your accountant that you'd actually been doing something productive. It's all about ticking them 'compliance' boxes
            Yes, if you remember there were other issues with Hyphen that lead me to turning down the role. I still wouldnt touch them with a barge pole though

Comment

Haha. Just because I had a pop at you the other day. Whatever.
              You can have all the pops you want. It won't make an difference to what I do and don't reply to.

You're right, asking for verification of gaps on your cv is ridiculous. If you want to act like a subserviant employee and kowtow to their stupid requests, be my guest.
              Utter crap. Following policy in changing times does not make you a subserviant employee.

The fact of the matter is no one used to be bothered about gaps or if they did, they asked you for an explanation. I have no trouble telling them but I didnt expect to have to back that up separately to a DS certificate.

Then, we got to situation where client's started asked for explanations of 3 month 'breaks.' Crapita ask for explanations for 28 day breaks. Dont you see where this is going?

Instead of ripping shreds off newbies all the time, I think you should take a look at what is happening under your nose.

If you've been contracting more than 5 minutes, you'll possibly have numerous breaks in your cv for all sorts of reasons unless of course people fall into the paranoid 'I mustnt have a break on my cv' mentality.

Now, I wonder who feeds who, the clients asking for 28 day break explanations or the paranoid contractor who darent take a break.
              I don't know who feeds who but if client and agency policy change for reasons unbeknownst to us then so be it. It's not the only part of life that has become stricter and requires more hoops to jump though. Do you tell them all to do one as well? Times change and and become more and more big brother all day. That's the way it is.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I couldnt possibly comment.

Yes, if you remember there were other issues with Hyphen that lead me to turning down the role. I still wouldnt touch them with a barge pole though
                I quite agree mate, I wouldn't touch them with as barge pole either. But that contract was with Hydrogen, not Hyphen
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Then a senior account manager <mod snip>
                  Can you keep the sexism out of the professional forums, please?

Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post
                    Hi,

I'm due to start 5th Jan with "compliance checks pending"

I have been told that all CV gaps > 1 month must be verified.

I have asked the compliance person at the agency whether that involves printing off bank statements to demonstrate the leading of a normal life and/or some other 'evidence' but they are now on auto-reply until 5th Jan so I thought it was worth posing the question here.

I have heard of cases where one mitigation was to get a note from the accountant stating that the company was being run responsibly during the period in question and I have primed my accountant accordingly.

Can anyone advise?

All input appreciated and merry Christmas to all....

HoT
                    Just tell them you were just taking a break between contracts because that's what contractors do. I wouldn't supply a third party with bank statements. They also do a CRB check so that would show up any criminal activity if that's what they're looking for.

I had one third party company asking what I was doing on individual days between contracts. I told the agency to explain to them how contracting works and if they called me again I would pull out of the contract that had been offered. They didn't call again and I started the contract as planned.

Comment

Working...
                    X