• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(Another) two year rule post

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Another) two year rule post

Hello everyone,

I've had a search but couldn't find a reply to my issue, but I apologise if it has been answered elsewhere.

Being fairly new to contracting, I figured I'd come and speak to you lot as my Google'ing isn't helping me find a straight answer.

My assignment started in August 2013. In April 2014, I was offered a separate post and got my title officially changed with my Umbrella organisation in July 2014. Since then, they have renewed my contract until 31st December 2015.

When I accepted the new assignment via my Umbrella organisation I got a phone call from then stating my assignment will take me past 19th August 2015, thus crossing the 'two year rule', which I knew was going to happen as the contract date was so long.

In short:
    Job 1: August 2013 - July 2014
    Job 2: July 2014 - 31st December 2014

Job 2 (extended): 1st January 2015 - 31st December 2015

An ex-colleague of mine said that the two year rule gets reset if you accept a new position, but I'm confident it's all based on geographic location.

Could someone please straighten this out for me and let me know where I stand? I'm set to lost a lot of money (it's not a high-paying contract) in additional tax.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

Yes, you are correct, it is geographical.

Expenses stop as soon as you know you will pass the 24 month rule.

See here for more details: http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-nutshell.html
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Yes, you are correct, it is geographical.

Expenses stop as soon as you know you will pass the 24 month rule.

I'll find the HMRC ruling later (or maybe someone else can?).
      Okay, so this applies even with an entirely different position?

I thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by Markerton View Post
        An ex-colleague of mine said that the two year rule gets reset if you accept a new position, but I'm confident it's all based on geographic location.
        Before one of the usual lot come on and ask this chap "What does your accountant say?"..... I also have an ex-colleague, great developer, long time contractor, who all says the same thing based on what his accountant told him.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Before one of the usual lot come on and ask this chap "What does your accountant say?"..... I also have an ex-colleague, great developer, long time contractor, who all says the same thing based on what his accountant told him.
          I dont believe any qualified accountant would say such a thing.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Can't have searched very hard.....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your eye colleague is wrong. If job 1 and 2 are in the same location, then you have to stop claiming expenses now I'm afraid.

Comment

Get the contract changed to July 2015.. then if things work out you'll get another one closer to the time.. A contract is only as long as the notice period anyway.

Comment

12 month extension is rare, are you sure its not a FTC?

If it is a genuine contract why not accept a 6 month extension and claim for that period before stopping when you hit 24 months
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    I dont believe any qualified accountant would say such a thing.
                    Believe what you like.

Comment

Working...
                    X