• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far would you travel for a gig?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18 months of Mon-Fri commutes to London (3 hours door to door), followed by doing the same trip twice a week for 6 months. Now WFH full time.

Fully expect to be working away again at some point.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My worst commute was 2.5 hours each way. It almost killed me - literally.

Comment

Had an few interviews for a role in Moscow, about 2 years back, or three actually, before I was ill......

That's about 3000 miles I think?

Comment

I balk at the suggestion of anything over 40 mins each way.

Current gig is 30 mins drive, previous one was 12 mins cycle or 5 minute drive. I've had a couple of long distance contracts but on a 90% WFH arrangement. I do a rough calculation of effective hourly rate including the commute when deciding on a contract or evaluating options. Something the OP could look at doing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
            Furthest for me 680 miles. Current contract is the closest ever - 40 miles or 40 minutes by train. I will never get anything on my doorstep unless I move to one of the large conurbations so I am happy with anything < 90 minutes with WFH thrown in for at least 1 day.
            +1

I nearly always have to commute a fair distance, but on balance, it's worth it.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Would always choose a local gig over one with travel regardless of rate. It really makes a difference to your life.

Personally 75 miles / 90 minutes would be maximum that I would commute but even then I would probably look at staying over once a week.

Did Bristol to London on the train every day for 2 years and that was not much fun. On good days it was 2 hours each way door to door but some weeks you were looking at 4 hours + and that could be 2 or 3 times a week sometimes cos of our joke of a train service. Felt like a zombie by the end of it.

Comment

WFH even one day a week would make HUGE difference IMHO. Theres something about a long commute 5 days thats twice as bad as just doing 4 then having one day a bit more relaxed.

But thats the trouble, I rarely find gigs that allow WFH to be honest. Most of the stuff I do assume you're going to be there on site.

Have had a few blank looks when I've asked at some clients. As if I've asked for the hand of their daughter in marriage!

But then again, you don't ask you don't get. One day someone will surprise me and say yeh ok.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

In the last 12 months (As that's when I started looking for contracts) I've seen a single, 5 day project that would be under a 30 - 45 minute commute from home. The nature of my work is short term (Though 5 days IS short - more like 4 - 8 weeks on average) projects, so they're naturally going to be all over the place. WFH doesn't really swing it too much for me, though - I quite like getting on site and forming relationships.

Comment

God forbid ... I've been WFH for several years now. My alternative would be 2 hrs each way to London. I'm sure I'd earn more in London, but not if I take travel time and quality of life into account. I'd suppose I'd have to commute if I had no other option (benched) or if the money was much much better.

As a permie I spent 15 years driving up and down the A1 to Stevenage, an hour each way. It was ok, I could do it again.

My longest trip for a day's work was to travel to Hartford, Connecticut for a 2 hour meeting. Ah, those were the days

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      In the last 12 months (As that's when I started looking for contracts) I've seen a single, 5 day project that would be under a 30 - 45 minute commute from home. The nature of my work is short term (Though 5 days IS short - more like 4 - 8 weeks on average) projects, so they're naturally going to be all over the place. WFH doesn't really swing it too much for me, though - I quite like getting on site and forming relationships.
                      12 hour days don't swing it much for me either! Much prefer to spend those extra 4 hours of my life on my relationship with my friends and family lol.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X