• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handed in my notice, asked to cut it short.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handed in my notice, asked to cut it short.

Hi,
    I'm fairly new to contracting and am still learning a lot! I am 3 weeks in to a 6 week contract. There was a 2 week notice period on my part, 1 week notice period on the clients. I have been offered another contract (longer term, better day rate, closer to home) so gave my notice last Friday and stressed I was more than happy to work my notice and tie up any loose ends before I left. Plus, more money in my pocket! My boss was fine and said she understood as it was only a short contract anyway.
    However, a new guy transferred here on Monday and my boss has already started getting him taking over my role. It's made things a bit awkward. Last night I got a call from my agent asking if I would fancy finishing this Friday instead of next because of "the awkwardness" - my boss' choice of words. I asked if I'd be paid as I was happy work my notice and they were asking me to finish up early. Agent has said I'll only be paid for the days I work.
    Can they, effectively, give me my notice after I've given mine? Is this how it usually works?
    Cheers!

I knew someone in the same situation and yes they can still give their notice.

Comment

First you are a contractor. You are your own boss.

Secondly if you hand in your notice, there is no animosity between you and you are asked to leave early agree. Why? The company may have contracting roles again and people move around. If you are an awkward git you get remembered.

Thirdly you can't invoice for the days you don't work during your notice period. Would you prefer it if the company and agency turned around and told you there is no more work for you to do so don't come in? It's worse than what they are asking you to do now as in theory they could demand you come in randomly to hand things over or for a meeting.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by C1982 View Post
        Can they, effectively, give me my notice after I've given mine? Is this how it usually works?
        They aren't giving you notice - they are telling you that they will pay you for the days that you work, and that there won't be any more days for you to work after Friday.

Talk to the client, tell them that you understand, and make sure you've done everything that needs to be handed over before you leave. Make sure they have your contact details if there is anything else that comes up, and explain that the only reason you are leaving is because it's a short-term role and someone approached you about a much longer-term role.

Good luck.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The simple answer is clearly 'yes', but if the contract says they have to give you a week's notice, then they should honour that, rather than just 3 days.

You have to weigh up whether or not 2 days pay is worth arguing about.

Comment

Thank you all!
            Sue - I wasn't being awkward, I've been gracious and willing to help/continue my work as per normal. It was just the atmosphere became awkward. It's a small office with 6 people and everyone hears everyone else's conversations. When she was explaining to this new guy who started on Monday, it was obvious he was taking over my role. I'm not sure she felt entirely comfortable, whereas I was of the "whatever, I'm leaving, idgaf" point of view.
            It's not worth arguing over a few days pay/ruining a relationship with the agent and client so I'll just accept the week off!
            Thanks for the advice. I obviously still have a lot to learn

Comment

Giving notice has no relation to you being paid. The notice is to terminate the contract. You get paid for days you work. You could have a two year notice period but have no work to so no pay. Contract is still in existence but that is irrelevant.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Giving notice has no relation to you being paid. The notice is to terminate the contract. You get paid for days you work. You could have a two year notice period but have no work to so no pay. Contract is still in existence but that is irrelevant.
                Thank you. I keep forgetting that I'm not permanent and I'm a contractor now. This is my second contract and I haven't quite shaken the permanent mind set.

Comment

Seems a shame you couldn't just stick the one extra week but it sounds like all that's happened is they found a replacement quickly and now there's no need for both of you.

Since you have another contract to go to, just tell them that's fine but you're happy if they need anything finishing up, and then enjoy a quick break before the new contract starts
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You do realise you will get a tulip reference if you could not even see out a 6 week contract

Factor that into calculation before you jump ship next time

Comment

Working...
                    X