• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handed in my notice, asked to cut it short.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C1982 View Post
    It's not going on my CV. Its not a role I was particularly eager to take but did because it's money and it's almost Christmas.
    I'm not sure what a "tulip reference" is (I'm still new here/to contracting) but I assume it's a black mark against my name. If that's the case, I'll take it on the chin and move on. I'm not going to turn down a 9 month contract for the sake of a week (which would have been all that was left if I'd worked my full notice), rightly or wrongly.
    'Tulip' is a rude word rhyming with 'it' that's changed by admin before it's posted. [swear filter, like FAQ put it]

By the sounds of it your reputation won't be impacted - your current client sounded fine when you explained you were leaving, and even found a replacement and won't suffer as a result of you leaving.

Good luck.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      'Tulip' is a rude word rhyming with 'it' that's changed by admin before it's posted. [swear filter, like FAQ put it]

By the sounds of it your reputation won't be impacted - your current client sounded fine when you explained you were leaving, and even found a replacement and won't suffer as a result of you leaving.

Good luck.
      Thank you to you and TheFaQQer for explaining :-)

I hope my reputation will be ok but, in all honesty, it's not an agent I hope to use again. They've still not paid me because they keep "forgetting" to put me on their payment system, so I won't be rushing to use them again for work!

Thank you :-)

Comment

Thank you to you and TheFaQQer for explaining :-)

I hope my reputation will be ok but, in all honesty, it's not an agent I hope to use again. They've still not paid me because they keep "forgetting" to put me on their payment system, so I won't be rushing to use them again for work!

Thank you :-)
        It's not the agent I'd be concerned about. It's what a small world the contracting world is.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

It's not the agent I'd be concerned about. It's what a small world the contracting world is.
          I have a good reputation (so far). Is it really so bad to leave a short term contract for a longer term one? How do I play this in the future?

Comment

I have a good reputation (so far). Is it really so bad to leave a short term contract for a longer term one? How do I play this in the future?
            "The client brought a permanent employee into the team to do the work that I was doing. Once I had completed my handover to the replacement, I left on good terms, wished her luck and had a short break before moving onto my next contract. I still keep in touch with the manager there, and they know that if they have any issues, they can always drop me a line and I'll see if I can help them out."

Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              "The client brought a permanent employee into the team to do the work that I was doing. Once I had completed my handover to the replacement, I left on good terms, wished her luck and had a short break before moving onto my next contract. I still keep in touch with the manager there, and they know that if they have any issues, they can always drop me a line and I'll see if I can help them out."

Thank you! Much appreciated

Comment

I wasn't saying that what you'd done was bad - just that by 'reputation', I most definitely didn't mean with agents.

They'd have hired Ted Bundy if they thought he could make them some money.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I wasn't saying that what you'd done was bad - just that by 'reputation', I most definitely didn't mean with agents.

They'd have hired Ted Bundy if they thought he could make them some money.
                  Oh, I see. Thanks. I'll be careful in future.

LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    Many years ago a contractor working with me in the whisky industry at allied Dom, jumped ship at critical part of project for £10 a day more, I'm still in touch with both him and boss at the time, the boss refers to him as the 'turncoat' and has been asked for an informal reference many times from others within the industry about him. but we won't be replying to them in writing !!
                    Dropping a contract for £10 p/d is pretty silly, but referring to someone as a "turncoat" is pathetic. Not least of all because it implies some kind of loyalty or alliance to begin with - business is business.

I had a contractor disappear on me during a critical roll-out (Literally just stopped turning up to the site he was working on, customer had to call me). I can't even remember his name and nor do I particularly care - he did what he had to do. I was annoyed at the time, of course, but it was years ago. I've also had two contractors fired for sheer laziness (Disappearing for a ten minute job and being gone hours) and I don't really hold any ill feeling towards them, either. Life's too short, man.

But "turncout"? Pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      Dropping a contract for £10 p/d is pretty silly, but referring to someone as a "turncoat" is pathetic. Not least of all because it implies some kind of loyalty or alliance to begin with - business is business.
                      He more likely dropped the contract because he couldn't stand the people he was working with. People make up neutral reasons instead of turning around and saying you guys are horrible to work with.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X