• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handed in my notice, asked to cut it short.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look in your contract there will probably be a clause that say's they can give you 0 days notice for any reason they damn well see fit, take the two days and start the new gig
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      You do realise you will get a tulip reference if you could not even see out a 6 week contract

Factor that into calculation before you jump ship next time
      Who on earth gives clients as references?. Give the agents details. They will be too afraid of legal issues to say anything bad.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You do realise you will get a tulip reference if you could not even see out a 6 week contract

You dont half chat some tulip!

What is the client going to say in this tulip reference? The contractor didnt do a good job? The contractor let us down badly by upping and leaving with no notice?

You might try and do this seeing as you frequently give the impression you are in a position to hire and fire but misrepresent the facts and you'll get more than a rap on the knuckles.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

You would be surprised what a reference is theses day, it will be nothing more than a "Contractor XYZ was employed as an ABC during the period 123"
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            You would be surprised what a reference is theses day, it will be nothing more than a "Contractor XYZ was employed as an ABC during the period 123"
            I had to complete a reference for someone on one project and it was slightly more complicated than that.

Q1) What dates did the contractor work for / with you?

Q2) Would you work with / engage the contractor again?

No scope to give a reason for yes or no, but there was a space to effectively give a negative reference if you wanted / needed to.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Mostly yes

You might be surprised at how small the world is, especially if niche skills or same town or type of business

Many years ago a contractor working with me in the whisky industry at allied Dom, jumped ship at critical part of project for £10 a day more, I'm still in touch with both him and boss at the time, the boss refers to him as the 'turncoat' and has been asked for an informal reference many times from others within the industry about him. but we won't be replying to them in writing !!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I had to complete a reference for someone on one project and it was slightly more complicated than that.

Q1) What dates did the contractor work for / with you?

Q2) Would you work with / engage the contractor again?

No scope to give a reason for yes or no, but there was a space to effectively give a negative reference if you wanted / needed to.
                In applying for new roles in lloyds you must always give your last line managers name, this is given to new hiring manager, he can IM or give him a quick call for a low down

Comment

I wouldn't even put that on my profile.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    I wouldn't even put that on my profile.
                    It's not going on my CV. Its not a role I was particularly eager to take but did because it's money and it's almost Christmas.
                    I'm not sure what a "tulip reference" is (I'm still new here/to contracting) but I assume it's a black mark against my name. If that's the case, I'll take it on the chin and move on. I'm not going to turn down a 9 month contract for the sake of a week (which would have been all that was left if I'd worked my full notice), rightly or wrongly.

Comment

Originally posted by C1982 View Post
                      It's not going on my CV. Its not a role I was particularly eager to take but did because it's money and it's almost Christmas.
                      I'm not sure what a "tulip reference" is (I'm still new here/to contracting) but I assume it's a black mark against my name. If that's the case, I'll take it on the chin and move on. I'm not going to turn down a 9 month contract for the sake of a week (which would have been all that was left if I'd worked my full notice), rightly or wrongly.
                      "tulip" is the word the swear filter on CUK puts in when you type tulip.

Edit - tulip, that didn't work

Edit - s**t, not tulip
                      Last edited by TheFaQQer; 27 November 2014, 10:01. Reason: tulip editing
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X