• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standby allowance - reasonable figure?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so it starts ...

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Be careful with the gentleman's agreement and 'no need to add into contract' idea. I just got bitten badly by this one in current gig where client really just took the piss. They mentioned weekends/shifts during interview but it never got into the contract etc. just PWD.

What happened then was they seemed to think they owned me 24/7 for the duration of the contract which meant they could tell me what hours to work (days, 12 hours, nights, weekends etc) and changed the plans often with less than a days notice. Once fair enough but then it got a bit too often and they were a bit off if I said no.

You might have seen my other threads - hassle with accommodation and family hassle. Of course, all very bad for IR35 too.

Next time, I'll think twice about being so agreeable and make sure its all laid out in the contract. And I'll definitely ensure that they don't have the right to change things at last minute as they did.

7 week contract but lots of grief....
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    In the past I've always been OK about working Saturday for normal rate if :-

1. Its not too much hassle for myself and family.
    2. They actually agree to pay me the days rate.
    3. They're flexible for me if I ever need a few hours off etc.

In the past, though, I have had urgent requests on a Friday for something to be done on Saturday. Usually then when I ask someone to authorise this so that I can bill for the day, it all becomes not so urgent. Basically, if I was doing it for free then they were happy. I dont think so.

Of course, when you get other contractors who will do it for free it really winds me up. (Also, contractors who will work weeks past end date of contract whilst client 'sorts out renewal').
    Last edited by Pondlife; 24 November 2014, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      And so it starts ...

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
      Lol... Good find pondy.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Entirely possible :-)

This particular one was absolutely chucking money away in 2000/2001. I left in late 2001 and they were starting to cut back on the spending a bit.

It one point, me and a mate were getting paid a pretty good rate for the hours we were working plus 50% of any hours we weren't working for being on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We might have been in the same place. 'IF' only I could remember the name.....
        Was definately the same place I remember when they started cutting back they asked us to do the on-call at the permie rates, something around £2.80 an hour or something. I didn't do any on-call after that.

I remember when 3 contractor mates all rolled into the car park with their new Beamers. You weren't the one who bought the M3 were you?
        Last edited by Batcher; 25 November 2014, 17:51.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Lol... Good find pondy.
          Flippin heck - I've got a virtual stalker :-)
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X