• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lloyds - Closed Shop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lloyds - Closed Shop?

I've been contracting a year (first timer) and had one renewal on current contract. Some niggles coming up - no leave this year (required to provide permanent resource 'cover') and given x 2/3 times workload of colleagues. Noted by colleagues of my differing treatment and was told of likely 10% cut at renewal. Was given award for excellent work by the Bank and recognised as most experienced in team. Am not looking to renew with this LM in particular.

Another Division approached me for contract, offered working from home and rate increase. My own Line was asked about this and within 10 mins of his reply the other Division withdrew their interest.

Is this legal? Or are large banks operating a closed shop?

You've got a permie mindset, I'd go back to that if I were you.

Comment

I am a first timer, would be good to get some advice - rather than be told to give up ;-)

Comment

You're a contractor now, not a permie. There is nothing illegal about how the company treated you, you cannot expect some tribunal to fight your battles for you as if you were a permie.

You do not get leave and should not expect it. Getting awards from your 'employer' makes you a disguised employee. Do you not know about IR35?

Maybe you need to do more research.

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Basic expenses questions answered here: Contractor Expenses - How to claim Travel and other expenses via Limited Company or Umbrella

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

And here are the rules when using company credit cards: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/exb/a-z/c/cards.htm

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

And finally - accountant recommendations - Ta-da!
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ImaginativeTruth View Post
          I've been contracting a year (first timer) and had one renewal on current contract. Some niggles coming up - no leave this year (required to provide permanent resource 'cover') and given x 2/3 times workload of colleagues. Noted by colleagues of my differing treatment and was told of likely 10% cut at renewal. Was given award for excellent work by the Bank and recognised as most experienced in team. Am not looking to renew with this LM in particular.

Another Division approached me for contract, offered working from home and rate increase. My own Line was asked about this and within 10 mins of his reply the other Division withdrew their interest.

Is this legal? Or are large banks operating a closed shop?
          Why would this be a closed shop if you are working inside it anyway ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Why would this be a closed shop if you are working inside it anyway ?
            That's not where you're going, is it ??
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              That's not where you're going, is it ??
              Luckily by the sounds of it not !

Comment

My question is not over workload and not concerned with tribunals etc.

When the current task manager (offering 10% rate cut at renewal and troublesome leave approvals) was contacted by the other Division (offering 10% rate increase, work from home) for a new contract role - the outcome was the interview confirmed was withdrawn ten mins later.

This is what I mean by closed shop etc. the current manager is pushing away other contract opportunities in the company from me. I'm lucky so far in that once I get on market I usually get a new contract in a week or so (famous last words!)

I mentioned the award etc to point out that this interview withdrawal was not performance related ;-)
                Last edited by ImaginativeTruth; 23 November 2014, 20:53.

Comment

When the current task manager (offering 10% rate cut at renewal and troublesome leave approvals) was contacted by the other Division (offering 10% rate increase, work from home) for a new contract role - the outcome was the interview confirmed was withdrawn ten mins later.

This is what I mean by closed shop etc. the current manager is pushing away other contract opportunities in the company from me. I'm lucky so far in that once I get on market I usually get a new contract in a week or so (famous last words!)

I mentioned the award etc to point out that this interview withdrawal was not performance related ;-)
                  Forget it, move on....

Comment

Yes. Your current manager is a complete dickhead permie arsehole. He sees you as 'his' resource that other parts of the business shall not poach.

He doesnt like the idea of you keeping your current rate never mind 10% more else where in the business. This would make him look bad.

Personally, I'd never have accepted an 'award' at a client. I also wouldnt accept 2 or 3 times the workload of others providing that it can be quantified.

I also wouldnt work for LBG \ LTSB or whatever they call themselves ever again.

Do you still want to stay there with all the politics around you?

Your options are to accept the mushroom feed being dropped on you or look for something else. Its your decision.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X