• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced holiday over Xmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    They will all be doing it, its normal now - no point starting rumours.
    Yes but in the past project people could always escape, now it needs gods approval for exceptions

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
      They will all be doing it, its normal now - no point starting rumours.
      Not just banks either. Most large organisations do it now, including Govt. departments. Last gig in public sector all contractors were told to take 2 weeks off over Christmas / New Year. Had it happen in major telco's, manufacturing etc.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Got to laugh my mammary glands off at contractors who get indignant at being made to take 2 weeks off at Christmas (seriously, who wants to work at Christmas unless its to be paid for doing nowt?) but then get all arsey when client say no to leave at important points in a project.

Myself, I always took time off from around 19 \ 20 December to 5 \ 6 January but then again, I never took time off during contracts.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

How does this sit with IR35 then? Surely it would be a good pointer that the contractor at this client site is treated differently form permanent staff?
          "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
          "See?"

Comment

I always try to work between Christmas and NY. I've only had one contract in the past 6 years where they wanted me to stay home for 4 days, I managed to convince them I had to come in anyway for two days as I had important reviews (which was no lie btw) to do with my BA (another contractor) so I minimised some of my revenue loss

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
              How does this sit with IR35 then? Surely it would be a good pointer that the contractor at this client site is treated differently form permanent staff?
              Irrelevant. It's just professional courtesy to adhere to clients wishes and business processes regarding time off. Makes no difference to IR35.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Got to laugh my mammary glands off at contractors who get indignant at being made to take 2 weeks off at Christmas (seriously, who wants to work at Christmas unless its to be paid for doing nowt?) but then get all arsey when client say no to leave at important points in a project.

Myself, I always took time off from around 19 \ 20 December to 5 \ 6 January but then again, I never took time off during contracts.
                This. I can't even begin to start breaking down the OP's post. So much wrong with it it's not true.

Can't wait to see the OP's face when he gets his rate cut or gets walked on a gig. He'll pop a bloody vessel. We are a flexible workforce, sometimes, just sometimes, we have to be flexible. It's contracting. Time to grow some.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Irrelevant. It's just professional courtesy to adhere to clients wishes and business processes regarding time off. Makes no difference to IR35.
                  I disagree. I think it's a helpful pointer in terms of MOO. It shows that the client aren't obliged to provide work and can tell you not to work if they don't need you.

A very strong pointer to not being a disguised employee IMO.

Surely taking extended time off around Christmas is one of the perks of running your own business? I'm taking December off.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    I disagree. I think it's a helpful pointer in terms of MOO. It shows that the client aren't obliged to provide work and can tell you not to work if they don't need you.

A very strong pointer to not being a disguised employee IMO.
                    +1
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Worked permie once and all contractors were forced off for the whole of December which went down well as you can imagine. Bit much that.

Whilst contracting, one client said, please take two weeks off. I did try to say I was busy because of Project xyz but they said no please take two weeks off to save costs etc. Fair enough then up to you.

Was a bit miffed that the very next day I got an email asking for everyone to focus on project xyz and the deadline at end of Jan which couldnt be missed and that the 'effort' would have to be increased in january.

Basically, we want to not pay you and save money for two weeks over xmas, but then want you to catch up in January by working long hours for free. I didnt do it which didnt go down too well. But they were the sort of client who lurched from one crisis to another and soon forgot when they needed me for something else.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X