• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced holiday over Xmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I know they say non-essential staff but I don't know of any permies who are forced to take the two weeks off. I'm not sure it would be allowed to force permies to take two weeks of their holiday entitlement at that time of year.
    It would be allowed. My father's employer closes down the entire factory for 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Sounds like a gr8 reason to work for them....
      Ugh... sounds like a nightmare. That's 3 weeks of summer I'd have to work in order to compensate for those 3 weeks of winter.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Got to laugh my mammary glands off at contractors who get indignant at being made to take 2 weeks off at Christmas (seriously, who wants to work at Christmas unless its to be paid for doing nowt?) but then get all arsey when client say no to leave at important points in a project.

Myself, I always took time off from around 19 \ 20 December to 5 \ 6 January but then again, I never took time off during contracts.
        Seconded. Now I wouldn't dream of working around that time!

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
          Seconded. Now I wouldn't dream of working around that time!
          Exactly.
          I worked last Christmas so I could take this one off!
          Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            I know they say non-essential staff but I don't know of any permies who are forced to take the two weeks off. I'm not sure it would be allowed to force permies to take two weeks of their holiday entitlement at that time of year.
            In many companies it is mandatory to take 3 or 4 days off in between. There are bank holidays and weekends so it isn't losing two weeks of holiday entitlement.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The reason this surprised me is that I have worked every Xmas for the last 15 years or so and have never been obligated to take time off - not even with the banks.

I have also never had a break between contracts unless I requested it, nor have I had a contract which started on a date later than the agreed one.

Maybe I've been lucky?

I tend to plan way ahead and take my holidays in the summer like most people. The only time off I had that wasn't planned was for sickness or bereavement. Hence my surprise this time round.

Comment

Originally posted by acnm View Post
                The reason this surprised me is that I have worked every Xmas for the last 15 years or so and have never been obligated to take time off - not even with the banks.

I have also never had a break between contracts unless I requested it, nor have I had a contract which started on a date later than the agreed one.

Maybe I've been lucky?

I tend to plan way ahead and take my holidays in the summer like most people. The only time off I had that wasn't planned was for sickness or bereavement. Hence my surprise this time round.
                Never been forced to take Xmas off in my 10 years contracting. I actually don't mind 'working' it as it's usually quiet, most places let you finish mid/early afternoon and the trains are more or less empty. My only gripe is that there's no warm food in the 1st class over this period :-(

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  In many companies it is mandatory to take 3 or 4 days off in between. There are bank holidays and weekends so it isn't losing two weeks of holiday entitlement.
                  Fair enough. I suppose I've only contracted mainly in big Finance and Utilities companies and they are open most of the year so the only ones forced to take the break seem to be contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Irrelevant. It's just professional courtesy to adhere to clients wishes and business processes regarding time off. Makes no difference to IR35.
                    Completely untrue I'm afraid.
                    I know someone whose LTD was investigated for IR35 and the key thing that got them off was the enforced furloughs that he had in the 5 years contracting there.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

This year is the first time I can recall, in 20+ years contracting, being told in advance all contractors must take the time off.

That being said I had intended to take the time off anyway, so it's no skin off my nose and it's time I take off if I can

Comment

Working...
                      X