• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent Suggestion / Information Required. Highly Appreciated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent Suggestion / Information Required. Highly Appreciated

Hello All

I am sorry for such basic questions but I need help. I am first time contractor.

1. I have secured a contract through an agency.
    2. Contract has been signed and I have got contract copy etc., contractor portal details etc etc.
    3. Start date was 1st Oct.

On 30th Sept evening agent sent me an email and said that start date would be 6th oct (monday) as client is delaying start due to some reason.

Now until now agent hasnt got back to me if i have to start on 6th or not. Tried to contact him but no news.

Please suggest:

1. Do i have to worry? contract was signed on 25th sept and start date was 1st oct. Neither agency or client has said anything to me except change of start date. But no change in contract so far.

2. What should I look in contract which can create issue for me in other words will I be paid from 1st?

Please suggest? any pointers would be really helpful.

You won't get paid for work you haven't done. Ever. Get that clear from the start.

You don't get calls back from agents either; they are only interested in the next candidate and you are now history.

You should have phoned the client - although at this point you're rather buggered if he's expecting you on Monday morning - so unless it's the other end of the country turn up on Monday morning and see what happens. Worse case is you go home again.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You won't get paid for work you haven't done. Ever. Get that clear from the start.

You don't get calls back from agents either; they are only interested in the next candidate and you are now history.

You should have phoned the client - although at this point you're rather buggered if he's expecting you on Monday morning - so unless it's the other end of the country turn up on Monday morning and see what happens. Worse case is you go home again.

..without getting paid.

You're a contractor now.

And for background info...

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Basic expenses questions answered here: Contractor Expenses - How to claim Travel and other expenses via Limited Company or Umbrella

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

So you are saying, signing contract doesn't make any sense?
        I will go on monday but he just given me office address but not person name.

Should I get in touch with Client directly?

Comment

Originally posted by coolmagic View Post
          So you are saying, signing contract doesn't make any sense?
          I will go on monday but he just given me office address but not person name.

Should I get in touch with Client directly?
          Did you not get the name of someone when you were interviewed by the client? If you had that name all you would have needed to have done is phone up and ask to speak to that person once the agent pushed the date back.

However it's too late now.
          You need to go in in person on Monday, tell reception/security who you are and why you are there.

I was listening to something where business leaders complained that young people weren't prepared for work, it also seems that new contractors aren't prepared for running their own business when there are plenty of free guides out there on the internet plus plenty of different scenarios on this and other forums to use for research.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would phone up the agent first thing Monday morning. If you have a contact at the client, then phone him up.

There won't be any problem turning up an hour or two later after all they delayed the start date.

The fact that your agency didn't contact you makes it seem likely you won't be starting on Monday. Normally they're all over you to make sure you turn up.

I wouldn't bother travelling in without confirmation and while you're waiting start looking for a new contract. Personally I would take the view that the contract has been cancelled.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 October 2014, 17:29.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

The fact that your agency didn't contact you makes it seem likely you won't be starting on Monday. Normally they're all over you to make sure you turn up.
              Not all the time.

Some agents are really poor communicators.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I would phone up the agent first thing Monday morning. If you have a contact at the client, then phone him up.

There won't be any problem turning up an hour or two later after all they delayed the start date.

I wouldn't bother travelling in without confirmation and while you're waiting start looking for a new contract. Personally I would take the view that the contract has been cancelled.
                This.

Im buggered why others are telling you to turn up when you say you have a mail from the agent saying the start has been pushed out. Cant they read?

They dont want you on site Monday. I'd spend Monday finding out what is happening. If you dont get any response, send a mail to the agent in reply stating you're still on the market with other agencies.

It could genuinely be that the start is delayed. Alternatively, you've been canned which kind of makes a mockery of the muppets who say. 'Honour your contracts.....'
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  This.

Im buggered why others are telling you to turn up when you say you have a mail from the agent saying the start has been pushed out. Cant they read?
                  '
                  I can read.

The OP never stated whether the contract was local or not.

If the contract isn't far away turning up and breathing down people's necks gets things sorted out that day.

I've turned up at sites and not had a laptop, desk etc. My presence makes them sort out things really quickly especially when I have told them I'm going to do x until they sort something out and I'm charging them for that day.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I can read.

The OP never stated whether the contract was local or not.

If the contract isn't far away turning up and breathing down people's necks gets things sorted out that day.

I've turned up at sites and not had a laptop, desk etc. My presence makes them sort out things really quickly especially when I have told them I'm going to do x until they sort something out and I'm charging them for that day.....
                    He's got an email effectively saying 'dont turn up Monday, the start date is now a week later.' How clear do you want it?

It doesnt matter whether the contract is nearby or far away.

Its frequently posted on here that the contract is between the agent and the contractor, not client and the contractor. So sorry but advice telling him to turn up Monday (tomorrow) to talk to the client is a load of BS. His relationship is with the agent.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X