• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home allowed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home allowed?

Now, I work as a UX designer contractor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience_design), I could do all my work from home, but it is generally "expected" that I work at the client's premises. It's like an unspoken rule. Every other UX, graphic design or web developer contractor I know do this.

But I can't get the thought out of my mind to work from home. It's a waste of time to commute and I'm much more efficient working at home at my own setup. Especially with the IR35 in place.

My contract states the following:

"Location
    7.1 The Company shall have the right, subject to the Client’s approval, to determine the location at which the Specified Services will be provided."

So, as far as I can tell, legally I could work from home. But what is this Client's approval? Can they disapprove my right?
    To be frank, if I tell my client that I would like to work from home, they will just say "What??" The works is at XY street, London. If I insist on my right I guess they would fire me. Or can they?

My notice period is immediate and I'm through a recruitment agency.

My question is: has anyone ever tried to use their right to work from home? If so how to go about this?

You need to agree with the client that you will work from home and come in if you need to. You should have talked about this when you interviewed/first met them to take on the assignment.

Now you have to bring up the subject with them carefully.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why don't you just ask the client if you can work from home? It's only an unspoken rule if you don't speak about it

Comment

Since there's nothing in the wording about permission not to be unreasonably withheld, there's no basis in the contract for you to work at home if the client doesn't want this, so forget about the contract wording and just approach your client directly and, indeed, carefully, unless you're prepared to walk on the basis of a disagreement. Agree with SE above that this is something best discussed early on, although if you've proven to be valuable, there's a good chance the client will agree some fraction offsite. For me, 100% offsite is a requirement discussed upfront (but only because it's feasible in my line of work).

Comment

Originally posted by Gulliver View Post
          they would fire me.
          ps. minor quibble, but they wouldn't "fire" you since you're not their employee; they would terminate the contract w/ the agency who would then terminate their contract w/ YourCo.

Comment

It's a waste of time to commute and I'm much more efficient working at home at my own setup. Especially with the IR35 in place.
            How does IR35 being "in place" make you more efficient working from home?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

UX stands for User eXperiance.

Call me old-fashioned but at times would expect you to have the user sitting next to you to discuss their experience.

Unless you have the facility to share the page remotely via webex, skype or whatever.

The client will want to know how you expect to approach this.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Now, I work as a UX designer contractor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience_design), I could do all my work from home, but it is generally "expected" that I work at the client's premises. It's like an unspoken rule. Every other UX, graphic design or web developer contractor I know do this.

But I can't get the thought out of my mind to work from home. It's a waste of time to commute and I'm much more efficient working at home at my own setup. Especially with the IR35 in place.

My contract states the following:

"Location
                7.1 The Company shall have the right, subject to the Client’s approval, to determine the location at which the Specified Services will be provided."

So, as far as I can tell, legally I could work from home. But what is this Client's approval? Can they disapprove my right?
                To be frank, if I tell my client that I would like to work from home, they will just say "What??" The works is at XY street, London. If I insist on my right I guess they would fire me. Or can they?

My notice period is immediate and I'm through a recruitment agency.

My question is: has anyone ever tried to use their right to work from home? If so how to go about this?
                As Batcher said, try asking the client (or telling them if it is in your nature to do that).

I pretty much always get to work from home. Current contract I'm doing something like one week in six in the office.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Good luck with that approach. I can see your next post will be about immediate notice if you go in with that line.

The phrase you are completely missing here is 'subject to the Client’s approval'

That doesn't give you the right and it also doesn't mean you can tell your client you are working from home or insist on it. It reads to me you can suggest it as an option and they can approve or deny. Simple as.

I would certainly do a stint in the office to prove myself before strong arming a client in to letting me work from home.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    UX stands for User eXperiance. (sic!)

Call me old-fashioned but at times would expect you to have the user sitting next to you to discuss their experience.
                    Yeah, but you can't watch telly and/or masturbate that way.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X