• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent sold me a pup...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    hmm. Rather than the length. I would add I wouldnt be very happy with the Maternity cover discovery. Would feel too close to a permie role for my liking. Not thinking IR35 here, just the idea of being a direct permie substitute. Yuk.
    Subbing for a permie is nothing like being a permie. It's more like being a temp. Many companies hire contractors as "disposable permies" when they have a project which needs more people than they have, but is not expected to last for ever.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

yes understand that. Not exactly a project role though is it
      Yep, my worry would be that they would expect to treat you like the permie you were replacing, high probability of D&C.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Of course you didn't mention here about rate but one presumes you asked about rate? So the fact they said the "contract" was 12 months never made you think "is this an FTC"? Seriously?

No wonder the agent sold you a "pup"!

Live and learn dear boy, live and learn.
        Is it just the contract length which makes you think that this is an FTC? What specifically do you read in this thread which indicates FTC rather than a 12-month contract for services?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
          Does that make you feel better about yourself? I've had a few 12 month contracts, none of which have been FTC or remotely like an FTC. The wording of my present contract looks nothing like an FTC.

So, perhaps you ought to think about tempering your replies until you are in full possession of all the facts. Unless of course it was your intention to come across as a condescending pr*ck.
          My, you do have a chip on your shoulder. Far be it for me to tell you the wording on your contract has **** all to do with much but, I guess I just did.

Still, it wasn't me who got sold a pup because he didn'task the right questions. Maybe you will next time.

As for tempering replies, LOL, hark at you.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Is it just the contract length which makes you think that this is an FTC? What specifically do you read in this thread which indicates FTC rather than a 12-month contract for services?
          If an agent contacted me about a 12 month contract, yes, my first thoughts would be, is this an FTC. Then I'd ask the question.

The op clearly didn't.

If he didn't, did he ask the rate because most people seem to know agents play the line "its a nice long contract so the rate is a little low."

How low, would be my next question.

Let's be honest even an FTC 12 month "contract" would normally be less than a regular 12 month limited contract.

And yes, in the past I have contracted agents about jobs that were FTC. But, I found out it that telephone call because I asked questions.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If an agent contacted me about a 12 month contract, yes, my first thoughts would be, is this an FTC. Then I'd ask the question.

The op clearly didn't.
            The OP didn't ask the client when he first met them.

Agents lie and it's up to you to verify everything they say with the client.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The only mitigation I would give to the agent someone in the organisation wanted it for 12 months and someone else wanted it for six. Regardless it is bad form of the agent not to get back to you.

I tend to find contracts that start off on a bad footing rarely improve.

Comment

Had phone interview today for a supposed 12 month contract.
                During my questions I ask about what they want from the contractor, and suddenly the client says they want somebody for 6 months initially.
                Agent busted

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The OP didn't ask the client when he first met them.

Agents lie and it's up to you to verify everything they say with the client.
                  WHS.
                  I'm actually a "She" but thanks for agreeing......

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Had phone interview today for a supposed 12 month contract.
                    During my questions I ask about what they want from the contractor, and suddenly the client says they want somebody for 6 months initially.
                    Agent busted
                    Wasn't hard to do was it.

I'm really surprised other contractors don't do that.....

Comment

My, you do have a chip on your shoulder. Far be it for me to tell you the wording on your contract has **** all to do with much but, I guess I just did.

Still, it wasn't me who got sold a pup because he didn'task the right questions. Maybe you will next time.

As for tempering replies, LOL, hark at you.

The op clearly didn't.

If he didn't, did he ask the rate because most people seem to know agents play the line "its a nice long contract so the rate is a little low."

How low, would be my next question.

Let's be honest even an FTC 12 month "contract" would normally be less than a regular 12 month limited contract.

And yes, in the past I have contracted agents about jobs that were FTC. But, I found out it that telephone call because I asked questions.
                      I don't have a chip on my shoulder, just a low tolerance for arrogant kn0bheads.

I have no idea why you're so fixated on this being a FTC - it isn't. And I have never mentioned rates (low or otherwise), or any conversation with the agent about rates vs length of contract. So your supercilious attitude and propensity to sneer appears to be based on nothing more than assumptions you have made and conclusions to which you have jumped.

If you have nothing helpful to say, please say nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X