• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent sold me a pup...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing it's worth doing at every initial meeting with a client is ask them directly how long the project is going to last. That way if the agency says it's an x month contract and the client has informed you otherwise, you can point this out to the agency and insist they alter the paperwork otherwise you will contact the client again yourself to inform them of the confusion.

Mind you in the years I've always checked with the client no agent has lied about contract length......
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
      So, I landed a role that was advertised as a 12 month contract.

The contract that I signed stated that it was a 12 month contract. When I rocked up to the client last week, the team leader showed me around the place and introduced me as "the guy brought in to cover for Maternity Leave".

When I questioned him about this he told me that the lady in question was due to return to work in 6 months time and that when she did, my services would no longer be required. He then said that if she decides not to return then he would be looking for a permanent replacement. He says that a 12 month contract was never raised with the agent...

Tried to contact the pimp but not heard back (funny that).

I realise that contracting carries the risk that gigs may end at any time (and I'm not bleating about that), but I wondered where I stand legally on my situation. The pimp never mentioned maternity cover to me and stated categorically that the contract is for 12 months (as does my contract).

I suspect I'm just going to have suck it up and get on with the situation but would welcome any comments or advice please...
      Er, didn'tthe rate tell you this was an FTC!?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Er, didn'tthe rate tell you this was an FTC!?
        Er.. what rate? I never mentioned a rate. And how can it be a FTC when the F*ing terms aren't fixed...?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Don't worry about it then as you should be aware your contract is as long as your notice period.
          That's untrue. Your contract CAN be only as long as the notice period but the contract length indicates the expected duration based on the work required/budget available. So if the agent sold you a 12mo contract knowing full well it would only ever be 6mo, that's cheeky.

Nothing you can do about it, but it's still cheeky.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Yeah but you contractors like to go on about being a "flexible resource" to justify your high rates and tax avoidance. It's not very flexible if you have to hire someone for a fixed 6 months no matter what.
            I agree and I totally accepted the situation as being part and parcel of being a contractor. The tulipty bit was the agent not being up front about why the client needed the flexible resource.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Heh, think I might be in a minority here, as I charge a higher daily rate for longer term contracts. In fairness, that usually means walking away from the offer, with some exceptions (big banks and petrol companies).

I'd hate to be anywhere for more than three or four months, so I try to get things done ASAP. I don't think I'd ever except a 12 month contract. Maybe it's just me, but I just hated spending time with clients!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Yeah but you contractors like to go on about being a "flexible resource" to justify your high rates and tax avoidance. It's not very flexible if you have to hire someone for a fixed 6 months no matter what.
                Compared to hiring a permie, 6 months is VERY flexible. They should be hiring you for 6 months because they have figured out they have 6 months of work/money. If it goes titsup that's not unusual, but knowing the gap is 6 months and telling you it's 12 is just pointless. It scares off people who might prefer short roles, and falsely attracts those who want longer roles.

The agent presumably thinks all contractors want the longest contract possible because we all want to be permies, really.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Compared to hiring a permie, 6 months is VERY flexible. They should be hiring you for 6 months because they have figured out they have 6 months of work/money. If it goes titsup that's not unusual, but knowing the gap is 6 months and telling you it's 12 is just pointless. It scares off people who might prefer short roles, and falsely attracts those who want longer roles.

The agent presumably thinks all contractors want the longest contract possible because we all want to be permies, really.
                  Well, he's gonna get a shock when I make it the shortest contract ever...

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
                    Er.. what rate? I never mentioned a rate. And how can it be a FTC when the F*ing terms aren't fixed...?
                    Of course you didn't mention here about rate but one presumes you asked about rate? So the fact they said the "contract" was 12 months never made you think "is this an FTC"? Seriously?

No wonder the agent sold you a "pup"!

Live and learn dear boy, live and learn.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Of course you didn't mention here about rate but one presumes you asked about rate? So the fact they said the "contract" was 12 months never made you think "is this an FTC"? Seriously?

No wonder the agent sold you a "pup"!

Live and learn dear boy, live and learn.
                      Does that make you feel better about yourself? I've had a few 12 month contracts, none of which have been FTC or remotely like an FTC. The wording of my present contract looks nothing like an FTC.

So, perhaps you ought to think about tempering your replies until you are in full possession of all the facts. Unless of course it was your intention to come across as a condescending pr*ck.

Comment

Working...
                      X