• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential boom & negotiations.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential boom & negotiations.

So the dev mgr at current client co comes flapping over and calls me into the office for an urgent chat yesterday, seems the scrum team lead I'm working with has told him that my contract is up mid august, its not finishing until end of sept (actually mid august is the date when we agreed we would chat about extensions etc).

So I have a chat with the head honcho, happy with my work, phase 2 of the project starting soon,want me on board etc, we agreed to discuss again in September. Here's the thing, been there almost 2 years, good rate but haven't asked for an increase so far, direct (= no agent %age to factor in), have picked up loads of domain knowledge in my time there. So when we discuss an extension in sept i am going to go in for a 20% increase (10% above market rate), reckon they will counter with 10%, if we settle on 15% I will have won, am also happy to walk,

So what do you guys think, fair? Its not as if I have been there 3 months and am asking for more £££, I know they have had me at below market rate for the last 6 months and recent contractors joining are on my rate + 10%.

Seems fair enough. Sounds like the 2 year rule is going to kick in so your business costs have gone up and those numbers sound about right.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting, let us know how it pans out.

qh
      Last edited by quackhandle; 7 August 2014, 09:13.
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Seems fair enough. Sounds like the 2 year rule is going to kick in so your business costs have gone up and those numbers sound about right.
        True, that's another point I am planning to make, my commute costs are considerable (around a grand a month) and I won't be able to offset that as I will fall foul of the 24 month rule if I extend.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          Interesting, let us know how it pans out.

qh
          Will do, watch this space!

Comment

Update

So as promised an update... offered a 6 month extension with a wait for it... 2% increase , he offered that straight off the bat so I thought asking for 20% in response would be a step too far. Asked for 10% to extend, his reply (after giving me a sob story about how as a permie he earns a lot less and only got 2% himself this year) was that that would 'set a new bar for contractors at clientco'. Fair enough I said, thanked him and declined the offer. Have been here almost 2 yrs so a good long run , make some room on the bench at the end of Sept!

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
              So as promised an update... offered a 6 month extension with a wait for it... 2% increase , he offered that straight off the bat so I thought asking for 20% in response would be a step too far. Asked for 10% to extend, his reply (after giving me a sob story about how as a permie he earns a lot less and only got 2% himself this year) was that that would 'set a new bar for contractors at clientco'. Fair enough I said, thanked him and declined the offer. Have been here almost 2 yrs so a good long run , make some room on the bench at the end of Sept!
              It would only set a bar if he / you told everyone about the increase.

Mind you, I've not had an increase here in two years. Haven't asked for one, though - they might ask me to justify what I do to earn that rate
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                It would only set a bar if he / you told everyone about the increase.

Mind you, I've not had an increase here in two years. Haven't asked for one, though - they might ask me to justify what I do to earn that rate
                Same here, been at current client co for 2 yrs on the same rate, 6 month renewal offered with a 2% increment, the easy option is to accept but I decided before that I would stick to my guns. To be honest I need a reason to move and this is it, market seems quite healthy so am not worried that I will be on the bench for long

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                  My response would be "but you've got job security (snigger), paid sick days, paid holidays, pension contributions and health benefits (probably)"

Good for you for sticking to your guns, hope you get the next gig quickly, or it triggers a renewed offer

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    My response would be "but you've got job security (snigger), paid sick days, paid holidays, pension contributions and health benefits (probably)"

Good for you for sticking to your guns, hope you get the next gig quickly, or it triggers a renewed offer
                    Exactly, the August bank holiday on Monday cost me a days billing (wouldn't have minded but it royally p!ssed it down all day!)

Comment

Working...
                    X