• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Even if that is illegal

Not the first sentence, the last one haha
    I tripped up on this one. I don't think it's illegal but it's against cabinet office guidelines. Either way this kind of thing will always exist. The point is if the OP hasn't even applied for the role yet then it's quite possible they have a dilemma which has a very high chance of evaporating anyway. Better to find if they are even eligible before getting tied up in knots with decisions.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Even if that is illegal

Not the first sentence, the last one haha
      On what basis is it illegal? It certainly goes against the guidelines issued by the Cabinet Office, but I've not seen any legislation which makes it illegal not to put certain candidates forward for a role.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Indeedy - when you apply, the agent's first question will be "Have you got SC?" If the answer is no, then, unless it's a very niche skill, you're unlikely to get out of the starting blocks.

Comment

PCG page on SC mentioning that it isn't illegal but against guidelines. Also has the mail address for reporting recruiters that are not following the guidelines.

https://www.pcg.org.uk/advice/security-clearance-advice
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            On what basis is it illegal? It certainly goes against the guidelines issued by the Cabinet Office, but I've not seen any legislation which makes it illegal not to put certain candidates forward for a role.
            OK so I went overboard, I was under the impression that it was against the law. If it's not going to be regulated, why even bother with guidelines, it's a little like the platitudes the last government and this gives about giving contracts to small businesses.

A little like the Tories promising to stop offshoring, then the following week doing just that and making the excuse 'we meant that for current requirements, not future ones'

It seems in their haste to jump on someone who is 'wrong' you all missed the point of the post which was the joke in the second sentence, if you look up, you'll see it as it goes over your head

Comment

OK so I went overboard, I was under the impression that it was against the law. If it's not going to be regulated, why even bother with guidelines, it's a little like the platitudes the last government and this gives about giving contracts to small businesses.

A little like the Tories promising to stop offshoring, then the following week doing just that and making the excuse 'we meant that for current requirements, not future ones'
              I once had to point out to an agent that his client (Cabinet Office) was in breach of the Cabinet Office guidelines on security clearance requirements.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Security Clearance will never be enshrined in law, it makes it too inflexible and limits rapid change to the criteria applied in a changing world. But the Cabinet Office is a pretty powerful body; you really don't want to upset them.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Security Clearance will never be enshrined in law, it makes it too inflexible and limits rapid change to the criteria applied in a changing world. But the Cabinet Office is a pretty powerful body; you really don't want to upset them.
                  Clearly! Look at all the agents they have taken to task over this.

Comment

Clearly! Look at all the agents they have taken to task over this.
                    Yeah well, we're working on that...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X