• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Behaviour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It appears you are right but that case was back in 1877 and he did write approved on it. There are obviously many more examples and a quick read shows that the last change didn't always stand.

Doing some reading there doesn't be one size fits all answer and it can get very ugly to the point it could be possible to argue there isn't a contract in place at all which would be a bit of a nightmare scenario for us.

The one thing you can take from all the reading is it is to be avoided at all costs and is a very complicated area. To assume your amended copy is the last one and therefore stands is not true. You may win a case but it's going to be ugly.

Either way, stupid situation to be in and avoidable in this and I would think many other situations.
    "The one thing you can take from all the reading is it is to be avoided at all costs and is a very complicated area. To assume your amended copy is the last one and therefore stands is not true. You may win a case but it's going to be ugly."

Yes but the last time a contractor fought a contractual issue in Court was?????

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Needless to say, I will be doing my best to avoid this agency in the future. Sad thing is its one of the big ones.....
      Why would you avoid an entire agency because of the actions of one individual. That's stupid. I'll bet you won't when they have a gig you want. You'll be pants down, leaning over a barrel ready to enter in to negotiations in a heartbeat.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why would you avoid an entire agency because of the actions of one individual. That's stupid. I'll bet you won't when they have a gig you want. You'll be pants down, leaning over a barrel ready to enter in to negotiations in a heartbeat.
        To be honest, its more than one person in the agency. Have had bad experiences with 2-3 of them. Obviously, might just be this one office.

But yes if an ideal contract comes up of course I'm not going to avoid them totally. But I will take this into consideration and decide if its worth the hassle. And of course, if I see same gig advertised with someone else then it'll be the other agency I contact not them.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
          "The one thing you can take from all the reading is it is to be avoided at all costs and is a very complicated area. To assume your amended copy is the last one and therefore stands is not true. You may win a case but it's going to be ugly."

Yes but the last time a contractor fought a contractual issue in Court was?????
          Most cases are settled out of court.

Especially if the contractor is intelligent enough to get a solicitor involved from the outset and has no issues with telling the client what is in the contract.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X