• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Passport do you have

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Passport do you have

as a Brit living on the mainland and contracting on the mainland, and having an EU passport and British passport, I've noticed over the last 12 months that the first thing Agents are asking regarding EU based contracts is, what passport do you have ?

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Has Brexit positively or negatively affected UK passport holding Contractors ability to do business in the EU ?

Milan.

Milan.

I haven't had that question from any agents. However, I saw an advert on the job boards a while back for someone to work on a cruise ship. They said 3 times in that advert that people needed to have an EU passport: it was the first line, and mentioned in the skills list, and then the last line said "If you don't have an EU passport, don't apply!"

I'm guessing that they started with one mention, but then had to keep emphasising it when they received a bunch of CVs that weren't eligible.

Comment

Only EU passports? That's me out then with my Swiss one.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The Alberts each have UK, EU and one sprog has a US one on account of being born there.
        England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I have a British passport and I'm entitled to an Irish issued one. However if I were to apply for an Irish passport I can kiss goodbye to my current income stream.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            I have a British passport and I'm entitled to an Irish issued one. However if I were to apply for an Irish passport I can kiss goodbye to my current income stream.
            You work for a B&B in the 1950s?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              I'm still trying to sort out my Irish passport. It's taken a bit of a back seat lately.

I currently am struggling to find someone who can sign off the paperwork. I also don't know if the evidence I've collected is sufficient to get on the register of forrin births so need to find an expert who can review it all first.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I'm still trying to sort out my Irish passport. It's taken a bit of a back seat lately.

I currently am struggling to find someone who can sign off the paperwork. I also don't know if the evidence I've collected is sufficient to get on the register of forrin births so need to find an expert who can review it all first.
                My grandfather and grandmother were Irish, however there birth certificates have been untraceable. Apparently, records are sometimes missing or even births unregistered.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

My grandfather and grandmother were Irish, however there birth certificates have been untraceable. Apparently, records are sometimes missing or even births unregistered.
                  My Grandfather's birth certificate doesn't exist but I do have his baptism record with his Mum's name on it (the father is unsurprisingly absent). I then had to try and find proof that his surname changed from his mother's the person who became known as his father. Annoyingly, his Father lied on his WW1 enlistment papers, falsifying his date of marriage to make the kids look legit but at least lists my grandfather as one of his children, even if his year of birth varies by a year (and the day changes from the 15th to the 26th and back).

I am hoping the people who manage the registry are well aware of the holes in record keeping back in the 1900's

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

You need to register your grandparent's birth - I've done so for a grandparent of mine by getting a copy of the baptismal record. Then you can apply to be added to the foreign births register, and then you can apply for a passport.

Since Brexit I've noticed more EU jobs requiring English+ local language.

Comment

Working...
                    X