• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have we seen enough yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we seen enough yet?

Is "project fear" now accepted as a realistic view of the risks?

Can we reverse this total sh1tshow yet?
    See You Next Tuesday

No.

Brexit means exit

You will have to wait about 20 years before we are allowed to rejoin without the concessions Thatcher got for us.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It really annoys me, to this day, is that Cameron quit when the vote in favour of Brexit. With it being so very close, what he should have done was gone back to the EU and used that result as leverage to get a better deal. Instead he ran away.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        It really annoys me, to this day, is that Cameron quit when the vote in favour of Brexit. With it being so very close, what he should have done was gone back to the EU and used that result as leverage to get a better deal. Instead he ran away.
        The thing is there was no better deal.

It was up to the Tories in power how they implemented the directives which became laws in the UK.

For example you couldn't just go and stay in any random EU country and not be registered as being in the country at an address. Loads made you register every 3 months so they knew where you were. You were also registered automatically when you got a job. (Yes myself and other people I know made use of freedom of movement.)

However in the UK you could come in and disappear. Or come in, work and live in a tent.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Is "project fear" now accepted as a realistic view of the risks?

Can we reverse this total sh1tshow yet?
            Well according to a leading businessman on the remain side no

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-10/...re-exaggerated

Rose thinks there “must have been” a deliberate attempt to exaggerate the economic risks of Brexit but insists he has no idea who within the campaign was calling the shots. He says he didn’t had any contact with David Cameron or George Osborne before the event, or for much of the campaign.“I said to those people I was having regular contact with that the economic gloom may happen but it wasn’t going to happen immediately. It wasn’t going to be Armageddon the day we came out. Everyone wasn’t going to suddenly be out of work… It was going to be over time. We [won’t] know now for another 10, 15, 20 years what the effect on the UK economy is going to be.”“It was [Project Fear],” Rose says. “And it didn’t work.”

Will the losers moaning ever going to stop?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The only luck of those idiots who wanted brexit is that covid came along to mud the waters a bit.

Let's see in a couple of years when the idiots can't blame covid anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                The only luck of those idiots who wanted to remain is that covid and the Ukraine war came along to muddy the waters a bit.

Let's see in a couple of years when the idiots can't blame Brexit anymore.
                FTFY

As above Lord Rose etc are coming around to it. If you look at the state of the EU most are worse off than us. Facts not failures!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Is the UK even in the Customs Union? I mean, Turkey is in it and the UK isn't?

Really odd the UK is so far out of the picture, it would make sense to join the likes of Switzerland and Iceland and Norway as the first steps back in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	558419_EU_membership_groupings_2017.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	4241851

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Not likely though is it?

https://www.goodto.com/family-news/r...xit-background

At the Conservative Party conference in 2021, Sunak gave a speech saying he was told back in 2016 that if he voted for Brexit, his political career would be 'over before it had even begun'. He went on to say "I put my principles first," adding that he was proud to back Brexit because "the agility, flexibility and freedom provided by Brexit will be more valuable in a 21st Century global economy than just proximity to a market."

Announcing his intention to vote leave, Rishi Sunak said "This is a once in a generation opportunity for our country to take back control of its destiny," adding "I believe that our nation will be freer, fairer and more prosperous outside the EU."
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X