• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit negatives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My local Sainsburys is having supply problems with my lunchtime crips of choice - KP Skips

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

It doesn't matter whether it is for work or not any goods above a certain value need to be declared. Germany allows the import of goods of up to EUR 700 without declaring. Anything above that should be declared. Every country has different rules for non-EU travellers.
      That surely can't be right. 'The EU' makes all the laws, that's why we had to take are cuntry back.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

So the article being linked to is misleading in that it specified work laptops to the exclusion of other items that might be over the limit for a given country? There's a shocker.
        You're right in the sense there's no special rule for laptops, they're just pointing out that a laptop should be declared, because many work related laptops commonly carried on business trips are worth more than amount than you are allowed to bring in. When bringing your laptop back into the UK from the EU you may need to provide proof of purchase. Customs officials are not going to worry about an old looking laptop.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 July 2022, 12:18.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

You're right in the sense there's no special rule for laptops, they're just pointing out that a laptop should be declared, because many work related laptops commonly carried on business trips are worth more than amount than you are allowed to bring in. When bringing your laptop back into the UK from the EU you may need to provide proof of purchase. Customs officials are not going to worry about an old looking laptop.
          On a similar, but not unrelated note, I got stung by customs way back in 2013 because I posted home from NZ a load of personal items that I couldn't fit into my suitcase. Everything declarable was in my suitcase and everything I posted was stuff that I already owned, so I thought I was ok. Because I couldn't prove when and where I bought some of them, I ended up having to pay duties to get my own belongings back. A rather expensive lesson learned there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
            My local Sainsburys is having supply problems with my lunchtime crips of choice - KP Skips
            That's because they're disgusting and no sane person wants to eat that muck.

HTH

Comment

On a similar, but not unrelated note, I got stung by customs way back in 2013 because I posted home from NZ a load of personal items that I couldn't fit into my suitcase. Everything declarable was in my suitcase and everything I posted was stuff that I already owned, so I thought I was ok. Because I couldn't prove when and where I bought some of them, I ended up having to pay duties to get my own belongings back. A rather expensive lesson learned there.
              I know other people who have been caught out by that.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

This was, of course, dismissed by the diptulips like vetran as being nonsense.
                As mentioned then the rules are similar to other third countries. You are all moaning because you are no longer friends with the EU so they impose the same rules as other countries.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Strictly, either the NZ customs officials will charge you if you originally bought the items in from the UK or the UK customs will charge you if you bought them in NZ. What you're supposed to do is fill a form out at the NZ customs that allows you to bring the items in and you can use that form to prove to the UK that you're simply bringing them back.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Strictly, either the NZ customs officials will charge you if you originally bought the items in from the UK or the UK customs will charge you if you bought them in NZ. What you're supposed to do is fill a form out at the NZ customs that allows you to bring the items in and you can use that form to prove to the UK that you're simply bringing them back.
                    Crikey, I couldn't imagine doing that for my holiday clothes (which is what it was). Clothes, a couple of pairs of shoes, a handbag. Stuff that I didn't need in my last few days in NZ that could be sent home to make room in my case for the tat I'd bought as presents.

Interesting that technically you need to declare everything you're taking into the country. Maybe next time I visit I will present an itemised list of my suitcase and hand baggage contents.

Comment

Crikey, I couldn't imagine doing that for my holiday clothes (which is what it was). Clothes, a couple of pairs of shoes, a handbag. Stuff that I didn't need in my last few days in NZ that could be sent home to make room in my case for the tat I'd bought as presents.

Interesting that technically you need to declare everything you're taking into the country. Maybe next time I visit I will present an itemised list of my suitcase and hand baggage contents.
                      Well normally your clothes in your suitcase would be valued as worthless when taking your luggage through customs. When travelling you have a personal allowance of several hundred pounds. Customs officials will only be looking for expensive items like jewelry and designer handbags. You just need to be careful if you have an item that is valuable such as a new laptop worth over a thousand pounds. Most old laptops will be below the personal allowance.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X