• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New year Brexit changes ‘permanently damage’ EU trade, says food body

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New year Brexit changes ‘permanently damage’ EU trade, says food body

"New year Brexit changes ‘permanently damage’ EU trade, says food body

New customs checks will make imports more expensive and slower, says Cold Chain Federation

Britain’s small businesses should expect trade with the EU to be “permanently damaged” from 1 January, the refrigerated supply chain trade body has said, after new customs checks take effect that it says will make imports from the bloc “more expensive, less flexible and much slower”.

Amid growing public dismay at the negative impact of Brexit, the Cold Chain Federation said speciality food imports could face the same 70% decline that affected exports of food by small businesses this year after Britain quit the EU single market and customs union.

Extra costs that amount to £300 to £400 for each consignment will mean sales of food to EU countries in small batches could become uneconomic, said the CCF, which lobbies on behalf of firms that transport frozen and chilled goods.

“The big casualty of these trade barriers is the business that needs to import small and frequent quantities across borders – a palette load of speciality cheeses or boxes of onion powder. This is the sort of trade that is going to suffer,” said Shane Brennan, the federation’s chief executive."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...says-food-body

Buy British fish and chips!

Couldn't get any Stilton at shop the other day and brought some French alternative. Tasteless and soggy, you'd think the cheese-eating surrender monkeys could at least make decent cheese.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Couldn't get any Stilton at shop the other day and brought some French alternative. Tasteless and soggy, you'd think the cheese-eating surrender monkeys could at least make decent cheese.
      They can, they make some very good ones. But, just like the Portuguese and their wine, they don't export it!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Maybe they keep the good stuff for themselves?

Comment

I would't worry too much ... once the stock of french cheese has gone then you won't be able to buy that either
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

They can, they make some very good ones. But, just like the Portuguese and their wine, they don't export it!
            They probably don't travel very well.

I actually had a very nice Portuguese wine on New Year's Eve - it was a Douro - which is, essentially, a Portuguese Ribeira Del Duero as it is produced from vines grown in the region of that river. But I'm sure you knew that already.....

Comment

Working...
            X