• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

METRIC DOOM: Imperial measurements to return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

It might be 'allowed', but really how many companies are going to change their systems to show pounds/ounces. The cost/benefit is not worth it.
    You always could though, really. Trades still ask for "3x2" when buying timber, and loads of grocers still show (or will use) pounds and ounces.
    Wasn't the law that they couldn't ONLY show in imperial, not that must only use metric?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      You always could though, really. Trades still ask for "3x2" when buying timber, and loads of grocers still show (or will use) pounds and ounces.
      Wasn't the law that they couldn't ONLY show in imperial, not that must only use metric?
      well 3*2 is replaced by the smallest match they can get away with.

3*2 is 76.2 x 50.8 mm in reality you get 75 x 50mm.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Trades still ask for "3x2" when buying timber, and loads of grocers still show (or will use) pounds and ounces.
        Perhaps on Open All Hours, but any trades men under 60 that I've spoken to about doing work for me - they talk in metric terms. I've not seen any of the farm shops or grocers around here quoting pounds and ounces, again, perhaps its the demographic of customers and staff - if your scales aren't certified in imperial, and your customers haven't been educated on converting weird numbers, then why use them, unless it's to deliberately confuse?

About the only time I see imperial measures is the roadside stalls selling fruit & veg offering 1/2lb of strawberries or 1lb of potatoes etc.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Perhaps on Open All Hours, but any trades men under 60 that I've spoken to about doing work for me - they talk in metric terms. I've not seen any of the farm shops or grocers around here quoting pounds and ounces, again, perhaps its the demographic of customers and staff - if your scales aren't certified in imperial, and your customers haven't been educated on converting weird numbers, then why use them, unless it's to deliberately confuse?

About the only time I see imperial measures is the roadside stalls selling fruit & veg offering 1/2lb of strawberries or 1lb of potatoes etc.
          Odd not my experience

25 year old Jamaican heritage Plasterer talked about 8*4 sheet, he did buy 25kg bags of plaster but that is all you can buy.
          Staircase carpenters in their 30s talked feet & inches for measurements.
          Polish builder did use mainly metric as did his children until he talked about doors or similar items in old money.

The market in Maidenhead sells by the pound.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Inneresting. All the trades I know - many in their 30s/40s - use feet and inches for offhand measurements but will actually measure properly in metric.
            I don't think grovers and butchers necessarily use imperial but their customers often ask for a pound of this or whatever and they translate.
            Of course we still have "quarter-pounders" too even in Tesco.

Comment

And of course steaks are nearly always advertised in ounces in restaurants. A slightly isolated quirk.

Comment

And of course steaks are nearly always advertised in ounces in restaurants. A slightly isolated quirk.
                Do you think we should cancel the past 50 years of education and go back to Imperial (or US)?

Comment

Do you think we should cancel the past 50 years of education and go back to Imperial (or US)?
                  On what basis do you make that absurd logical leap?

"Steaks are sold in ounces" => "Do you think we should cancel the metric system"

Good grief.

Comment

On what basis do you make that absurd logical leap?

"Steaks are sold in ounces" => "Do you think we should cancel the metric system"

Good grief.
                    I asked a question. I also read your 3 replies so far on the thread.

If asking a question causes you to get upset, then you need to calm down.

Comment

I asked a question. I also read your 3 replies so far on the thread.
                      Don't play cute.

If asking a question causes you to get upset, then you need to calm down.
                      You really are quite manipulative aren't you? Firstly you try and twist my casual (factual) comments into the idea I want to abandon the metric system - along with deliberately inflammatory and belittling language "cancel the past 50 years of education" (wow). When I call you on that you firstly adopt the classic "I'm just asking a question" deflection before trying to reframe my criticism as "getting upset" so you can dismiss it without answering it. And then finish it off with a nice piece of patronising gaslighting.

You do seem so bitter these days, I'm sure it wasn't always the case.
                      The sad thing is so many people wouldn't see this for the tell-tale abusive behaviour it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X