• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

oh no currency has dropped again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

    A short term relaxation of hours is a proportionate response. Existing drivers should see their wages improve. Resisting the impulse to open the floodgates is a good move.

    Best way to improve Employer / Employee relationship is to have near full employment and limit immigration to high cost workers. Employers will be forced to improve their staff kills. No salary on the job advert will mean I just ignore it, or if the job or employer is interesting a 10 minute call laughing at the agent when the wages are insulting is optional.
    Not everyone has your knowledge of the market. The unskilled approach to work is fist in mouth type of approach. You like it you take it as it is and you allow us to bully you. You don't like it? We don't care, everyone is doing the same.
    And if you have 10 pimps that tell you that 65k is your salary, you are more likely to be inclined to think the same when they might have actually not had any open positions and just trolling you in the interest of the market and usual backoffice exercises.

    Immigrants are probably not the solution for now, maybe transparency, training people and starting a conversation about some of the things that bother them.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by vetran View Post

      The government have acknowledged there is a problem, they provided a short term solution and made more testing available - this is what the government should do or do you believe they should subsidise large enterprises with cheap labour? All the hauliers have to do is stop begging for slave labour, raise the pay that they slowly dropped to employ so many cheap EU drivers and sponsor training. That is hardly nationalism its rationalism.
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9778331/Britain-isnt-working.html
      Britain isn't working: 'Perfect storm' of the pandemic, furlough and Brexit has left hundreds of thousands of vacancies unfilled - and could spark food shortages, inflation and a stalled recovery

      As previously said, there is another narative brewing in the background and they are just throwing some trails to get the stupids and naives to bite into it.
      It is the same game on and on, not quite sure how people do not see it. It's probably that alpha beta mentality, some people are just made to be leaders and some are pushed around until they accept to be followers.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9778331/Britain-isnt-working.html

        As previously said, there is another narative brewing in the background and they are just throwing some trails to get the stupids and naives to bite into it.
        It is the same game on and on, not quite sure how people do not see it. It's probably that alpha beta mentality, some people are just made to be leaders and some are pushed around until they accept to be followers.
        'If you qualify for furlough with one company, you will not qualify if you change employment.

        'The Government desperately, urgently needs to do something about furlough and switch the money that's being paid from furlough to subsidise job creation, rather than continue to subsidise jobs that may no longer exist.'
        So there is a call to action. Make the furlough less peasant for both sides. I expected furlough to be 50% paid by employer by now.



        Strange that La Gavaroche can't afford staff at £178 per cover. Maybe paying over minimum wage would upset their extremely tight margins?

        Maybe they can make it up on the drinks?

        https://www.le-gavroche.co.uk/menu-exceptionnel

        Many staff would effectively intern at a Michelin starred restaurant for nothing just to get it on their resume.

        Burger King , Subway, Greggs, Costa & KFC all seemed fully staffed at the services I stopped in on the trip to pick MissV1 up from uni.

        Maybe they should pay less?

        "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

        I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Strange that La Gavaroche can't afford staff at £178 per cover. Maybe paying over minimum wage would upset their extremely tight margins?
          Genuine question ... you keep saying that top restaurants only pay their staff minimum wage. Do you have any evidence of this, or is it just something you heard from a bloke down your local?

          A quick search found this job site and based on this I'd say you are talking absolute bollox ... but happy if you want to prove me wrong and back up your constant claims. Or do those working in Burger King, flipping burgers, also earn £60k per year?

          https://www.caterer.com/jobs/michelin
          Last edited by Whorty; 21 July 2021, 14:57.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Whorty View Post

            Genuine question ... you keep saying that top restaurants only pay their staff minimum wage. Do you have any evidence of this, or is it just something you heard from a bloke down your local?

            A quick search found this job site and based on this I'd say you are talking absolute bollox ... but happy if you want to prove me wrong and back up your constant claims. Or do those working in Burger King, flipping burgers, also earn £60k per year?

            https://www.caterer.com/jobs/michelin
            Oh you are a lot thick!


            Head chefs are the best paid in the kitchen, basically the manager of the culinary and waiting staff. They are frequently the reason the restaurant has Michelin stars. Restaurants in that category are the equivalent of the big consultancies - top of the pile wage wise for the senior bods.

            I assume as Google's head coder you would be happy on £60k working lunchtimes, evenings & weekends and ~ 80 hours a week no overtime?

            The people they say they can't get are people like the Chef de Partie (Does most of the technical stuff the head chef does but not the managerial) on a massive £22k from your link.

            Mcdonalds pay £21k ~ £27k for a shift manager.

            The Average wage of a head chef in the uk is wait for it .... £10.34 per hour. / £29k

            https://uk.indeed.com/career/chef/salaries

            https://www.caterer.com/salary-check...d%20industries.

            or if you really want to turbo charge your career if you think £60K a year is a lot try this
            https://www.caterer.com/jobs?salary=5&salarytypeid=5

            I think you can manage collecting glasses and they pay a whole £5 an hour so its a pay rise.

            Interesting the average wage for an accountant is £62K. You only need to know how to cook the books.
            "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

            I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by vetran View Post

              Oh you are a lot thick!

              Head chefs are the best paid in the kitchen, basically the manager of the culinary and waiting staff. They are frequently the reason the restaurant has Michelin stars. Restaurants in that category are the equivalent of the big consultancies - top of the pile wage wise for the senior bods.

              I assume as Google's head coder you would be happy on £60k working lunchtimes, evenings & weekends and ~ 80 hours a week no overtime?

              The people they say they can't get are people like the Chef de Partie (Does most of the technical stuff the head chef does but not the managerial) on a massive £22k from your link.

              Interesting the average wage for an accountant is £62K. You only need to know how to cook the books.
              You are funny ... so you don't think chefs should work lunchtimes, evenings and weekends?

              As for teh Chef de Partie, the average salary seems to be £27-£28k ... but yeah, you pick up on the one role that is offering less

              As for accountants salaries, you jealous? Maybe get yourself qualified eh?
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Whorty View Post

                You are funny ... so you don't think chefs should work lunchtimes, evenings and weekends?

                As for teh Chef de Partie, the average salary seems to be £27-£28k ... but yeah, you pick up on the one role that is offering less

                As for accountants salaries, you jealous? Maybe get yourself qualified eh?


                damn you constantly get the wrong end of the stick what do they call you at work tullipy hands?

                You think the best chefs in the UK who work evenings and weekends should earn the same as the average accountant who works 9-5?

                Chefs as a rule earn 2/3 of the average wage.

                https://uk.indeed.com/career/chef/salaries

                £10.34 an hour almost £20k. I'm not cherry picking

                https://uk.indeed.com/career/line-co...es?from=top_sb

                chef de partie £22k.


                Can't take that much of a pay cut, anyway imagine being an accountant
                "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by vetran View Post



                  damn you constantly get the wrong end of the stick what do they call you at work tullipy hands?

                  You think the best chefs in the UK who work evenings and weekends should earn the same as the average accountant who works 9-5?

                  Chefs as a rule earn 2/3 of the average wage.

                  https://uk.indeed.com/career/chef/salaries

                  £10.34 an hour almost £20k. I'm not cherry picking

                  https://uk.indeed.com/career/line-co...es?from=top_sb

                  chef de partie £22k.


                  Can't take that much of a pay cut, anyway imagine being an accountant
                  If you think accountants only work 9-5 then you have no idea at all my friend. Most Finance departments I've worked in, a 'normal' working day is 10 hours. Once you're in month end/qtr end / year end then you can add extra to that including all nighters. And zero overtime pay.

                  My current 'normal' day is logged on by 7/7:30 and log off about 6 in the evening and take no more than 30 mins at lunch. WFH so I save travel time. I also take calls and attend meetings on my non-work days as required, all for no extra pay.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

                    If you think accountants only work 9-5 then you have no idea at all my friend. Most Finance departments I've worked in, a 'normal' working day is 10 hours. Once you're in month end/qtr end / year end then you can add extra to that including all nighters. And zero overtime pay.

                    My current 'normal' day is logged on by 7/7:30 and log off about 6 in the evening and take no more than 30 mins at lunch. WFH so I save travel time. I also take calls and attend meetings on my non-work days as required, all for no extra pay.
                    oh odd the accountants I worked with running multi billion pound companies only worked 9-5 but they knew what they were doing.

                    The book keepers worked long hours until they got the acquired companies books under control. Usually took them a few weeks.
                    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Fecking pingdemic innit:

                      https://twitter.com/donnyc1975/statu...373422085?s=19

                      Brexit gammons coming home to roost although of course this is EUs fault, or actually no fault at all cause who needs food anyway when you have "freedom".

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X