• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU roaming charges return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

So you have just confirmed what I said, they were cheap labour abused directly & indirectly by employers.

Yes we might see them abused again but that is what people need to campaign against. if there are visa abuses we can control that.
    cheap labour will still stay and abuse will probably be grater.

issuing process was more cumbersome for Tier x visas before under EU legislation. Now with 'points based system' is less difficult.

it didn't solve any of the issues, it just promoted discrimination and stripped generations of rights to travel/work. and created a hostile environment for the immigrants already in.

or at least this is my take on it. And I do hope that I am terribly wrong about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      ...and abuse will probably be grater....
      Wow - that's serious chafing abuse.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Three... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58501527
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Which was always denied what would happen by the mobile providers and brexiteers on here kept posting links to that. Just can't wait for the gammon faced idiots coming back with high mobile bills, crying this is not what they voted for
          Is there not a bit of quid pro quo here... if EU folk come here do they get free roaming?
          Free roaming abroad relies on foreign partners willing to do a deal, though it is a shame. Still, if you made your Brexit decision based on how much using 4G would cost abroad you're a fool.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Is there not a bit of quid pro quo here... if EU folk come here do they get free roaming?
            They have probably lost it as well, due to the UK leaving the EU, which I'm sure has many people rejoicing.

Free roaming abroad relies on foreign partners willing to do a deal, though it is a shame.
            Not really. It's not about the "foreign" partners, it's about global companies. Three agreeing with Three (CKH), O2 (Telefonica), Vodafone, etc. It wasn't like Three UK had to rely on small independent foreign companies in each country. They are all one global company, but now they are not forced to offer free calls, the businesses can up the rates.

Comment

Fair point. So purely profiteering then? THat's the capitalist way, market forces and all

Comment

Free roaming abroad relies on foreign partners willing to do a deal, though it is a shame. Still, if you made your Brexit decision based on how much using 4G would cost abroad you're a fool.
                Of course there is or will be quid pro quo, for businesses the impact won't be that much, but it can be for private citizen.
                EU citizen, if they come to the UK at all, it's mostly for a short break, mainly London 3 days and they're gone. UK residents go to EU countries on many types of holidays for several weeks per year Skiing, sun, weekend breaks etc, so the impact for a Brit in the EU is much bigger than the impact for an EU citizen in the UK.
                At the moment the roaming rates for Brits in the EU will be limited. But for example when I was on Vodafone visiting a country outside the EU on the local Vodafone network I paid £1 per minute for receiving and making calls, I have no doubt that it will slowly but surely creep up to these kind of levels for EU roaming as well in the next couple of years

Comment

Fair point. So purely profiteering then? THat's the capitalist way, market forces and all
                  Correct. Deregulate, push prices higher (not lower, as per the lie that some fools believe), captive market.

We should take it back to the old days, when only men were allowed land lines (if you looked at the phone book ) and no one had a mobile. Then roaming charges weren't an issue. Oh, and do you have a child you could send round to sweep my chimney? Also, the sewage in my drinking water, can we do something about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Of course there is or will be quid pro quo, for businesses the impact won't be that much, but it can be for private citizen.
                    EU citizen, if they come to the UK at all, it's mostly for a short break, mainly London 3 days and they're gone. UK residents go to EU countries on many types of holidays for several weeks per year Skiing, sun, weekend breaks etc, so the impact for a Brit in the EU is much bigger than the impact for an EU citizen in the UK
                    Plus the fact that the EU citizen has 26 other countries they can visit without roaming charges and the UK has none.

Mind you, Switzerland has never had the EU roaming deal, and somehow we manage.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Correct. Deregulate, push prices higher (not lower, as per the lie that some fools believe), captive market.

We should take it back to the old days, when only men were allowed land lines (if you looked at the phone book ) and no one had a mobile. Then roaming charges weren't an issue.
                      You never tried to phone the UK from abroad on a land-line?!

Comment

Working...
                      X