• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's a no-deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a no-deal

Gloomy looking ministers on both sides. It seems preparations are being made for talks to resume in the new-year.

It's all the fault of remainers, business not getting ready etc etc
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Gloomy looking ministers on both sides. It seems preparations are being made for talks to resume in the new-year.

It's all the fault of remainers, business not getting ready etc etc
    What's the point of resuming in the new year? Would that mean we resort to WTO trade terms from Jan 2021 then switch to something else based on a deal? That surely would be chaos?

I can't see what concessions either side are going to make now to suit both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      What's the point of resuming in the new year? Would that mean we resort to WTO trade terms from Jan 2021 then switch to something else based on a deal? That surely would be chaos?

I can't see what concessions either side are going to make now to suit both parties.
      I think it will be exactly that. the time needed to get a deal approved is about 10 years. I think they will start from almost scratch to come some kind of Canada deal.

Comment

Meanwhile my daily rate has gone up as I get paid in Euros and the Euro is up 1% against the pound

Comment

Talks not progressing

It's pointless, they might as well give "no deal" a go. What the UK needs to do is put everyone on a fish diet, and press-gang all the ex workers in the car industry into a new revamped fishing fleet. Who needs tomatoes.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 December 2020, 12:50.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

As per this:

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/upl...Long-Guide.pdf

"Trading only on WTO terms is the default position, but in fact no country does it. Although many trade
            barriers have been lowered through the WTO, all countries seek even less friction. All 164 WTO members
            have better access to at least one market either through a free trade agreement or through duty-free
            preferences for developing countries. Most countries have several deals, even if they do not all have one
            with the EU or the US."

Also you need to negotiate commitments and tariff quotas with loads of countries and I'm guessing none of this has been done, so I'm not sure how these "automatic" WTO terms are meant to apply. It's a massive lie created by Brexit gammons to have a "back-up plan".

Comment

No-deal + post-Xmas lockdown.

Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Bojo says come back to the table, you can have our fish if you accept US food standards.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Talks not progressing

It's pointless, they might as well give "no deal" a go. What the UK needs to do is put everyone on a fish diet, and press-gang all the ex workers in the car industry into a new revamped fishing fleet. Who needs tomatoes.
                  The Uk can have their fish and eat it

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    The Uk can have their fish and eat it
                    The wrong type of fish though. There will have to be octopus and chips shops.

Comment

Working...
                    X