• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexiteer fisherman concerned that tariffs will impede their sale of fish to EU.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexiteer fisherman concerned that tariffs will impede their sale of fish to EU.

THis is NOT the Brexit they voted for.

Fishing leader warns of risks as well as gains in Brexit
    There's a warning that Cumbrian fishermen could lose as well as gain in a no-deal Brexit, combined with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ron Graham, who chairs the Whitehaven Fisherman's Cooperative, says much of the west coast fishing industry has gone over the past 30 years, and Brexit presents the opportunity for British firms to get a greater share of fish from UK waters.

But he says if tariffs were imposed on fish exported to the EU, businesses already struggling because of the pandemic could go under.
    -BBC

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

-BBC
    Why the f**k did it take fishermen until now to actually realise that ? Daft c**ts.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

-BBC
      Meh. They voted for this. They won. I won't shed a tear if they lose their jobs. They need to learn to live with the consequences of their actions.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

It’s not just tariffs. It’s also the delays associated with a phytosanitary border. Still, a small price to pay for blue passports.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It’s not just tariffs. It’s also the delays associated with a phytosanitary border. Still, a small price to pay for blue passports.
          ^This. I've made this point on the forum since the day after the vote when fishermen and farmers were appearing on TV talking about the 'victory' they had just won. There's no point in increasing your ability to catch and produce if you eliminate 75% of your market at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            There's no point in increasing your ability to catch and produce if you eliminate 75% of your market at the same time.
            So are you saying millions of Spaniards and French will never eat fish again ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              They'll still eat fish, but they won't get it from the uk if they can get it for cheaper from somewhere else.

Comment

Are you actually that stupid ?

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Are you actually that stupid ?
                  No

Comment

The fish in UK waters can easily be sourced elsewhere. After a no deal Brexit they'll just switch suppliers. The reason the British can sell their fish is because of the common fisheries policy that protects their market.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X