• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More damning lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More damning lies

Porky Pies: Telling porkies: Boris Johnson's Melton Mowbray pork pie claim fails truth test | Politics | The Guardian
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Someone from the pork pie industry is certainly going to look like a cretin

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikeloves...835392/photo/1

Comment

More damning lies

“If there is a no deal, we are no longer protected and covered in the EU. After intensive lobbying, we got the government to agree to a version of the EU scheme but only operable in the UK,” he added.
      No point looking at the USA market then. If we leave without a deal, Yanks will be able to buy genuine Melton Mowbray pies made right there in Iowa.

Edit to correct myself: USA doesn’t recognise PGIs anyway, so if they wanted to make their own version of a cold pork pie they’d be doing it already by now.

There’s a reason why only 1% of them are exported, nobody except Brits can stomach them....
      Last edited by meridian; 26 August 2019, 10:40.

Comment

A huge opportunity to sell a few more Pork pies and increase the workforce by one or two more on the production lines of one company.

This should help offset the shutdown of JLR and the other car manufacturers.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's a bit desperate when Boris's industrial strategy focuses on a single pork pie manufacturer exporting a tiny amount of pies.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            No point looking at the USA market then. If we leave without a deal, Yanks will be able to buy genuine Melton Mowbray pies made right there in Iowa.

Edit to correct myself: USA doesn’t recognise PGIs anyway, so if they wanted to make their own version of a cold pork pie they’d be doing it already by now.

There’s a reason why only 1% of them are exported, nobody except Brits can stomach them....
            But they do recognise international trademarks. That's why I can't set up making mobile phones called "The Dogs …. I-phone" in the UK. Apple would sue me for using their "trade mark".

So, if the Melton Mowbray is trade marked, or if they bothered to internationally trademark the brand, possibly something that British businesses should have as part of their Brexit plan, the only Melton Mowbray pork pies could be made by the Melton Mowbray company or by someone they licenced the brand to. It's not rocket science is it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              It's a bit desperate when Boris's industrial strategy focuses on a single pork pie manufacturer exporting a tiny amount of pies.

Every journey starts with the first steps. This is the first tiny step towards the uplands of the Brexit prosperity 50 year journey. We'll look back in 50 years, and thank Bojo for this focus and initiative
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
                But they do recognise international trademarks. That's why I can't set up making mobile phones called "The Dogs …. I-phone" in the UK. Apple would sue me for using their "trade mark".

So, if the Melton Mowbray is trade marked, or if they bothered to internationally trademark the brand, possibly something that British businesses should have as part of their Brexit plan, the only Melton Mowbray pork pies could be made by the Melton Mowbray company or by someone they licenced the brand to. It's not rocket science is it.
                That’s an interesting point. It’s probably not that easy if it requires a central company to trademark it if that means that other companies in the same area then have to pay for a licence to use the trademark. PGI means a product from the area and not the product of a single company so that’s probably where the problem will lie, where the U.K. trademark authorities wouldn’t be keen on giving a trademark to a single company to the exclusion of others.

“Feta” and “Scotch whiskey” and “champagne” will all have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  That’s an interesting point. It’s probably not that easy if it requires a central company to trademark it if that means that other companies in the same area then have to pay for a licence to use the trademark. PGI means a product from the area and not the product of a single company so that’s probably where the problem will lie, where the U.K. trademark authorities wouldn’t be keen on giving a trademark to a single company to the exclusion of others.

“Feta” and “Scotch whiskey” and “champagne” will all have the same problem.
                  No such thing.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    No such thing.
                    If the only thing you’re triggered about is an ‘e’ in whiskey, better put the foot down on your outrage bus.

Scotch whisky - Wikipedia

Comment

Working...
                    X