• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It’s the will of the people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Indeed the troubles in Ireland were resolved because being in the EU single market made the Irish border issue irrelevant.
    Umm, you forgot power sharing, dissolution of RUC etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      I though we were discussing a border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, not Britain.

Just chipping in to ensure that we all know what we're discussing here...
      My bad, using Britain as shorthand for “the U.K.”.

Read it as the UK’s border on the island of Ireland.

Comment

"An organized Irish America will fight to maintain the integrity of the Good Friday Agreement and ensure that there is no hard border in Ireland. It will disrupt attempts by Washington to engage in any trade deals with London. In doing so, they will protect the international treaty that was facilitated by the Clinton administration which brought peace to Ireland after thirty years of devastation and destruction".
        Irish America'''s powerful role to play in Brexit
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          I though we were discussing a border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, not Britain.

Just chipping in to ensure that we all know what we're discussing here...
          Britain | Synonyms of Britain by Lexico Thesaurus

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Umm, you forgot power sharing, dissolution of RUC etc. etc.
            Yes but those followed on. There's no power sharing at the moment, but I think that is less of a threat than a Hard Brexit.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              My bad, using Britain as shorthand for “the U.K.”.

Read it as the UK’s border on the island of Ireland.
              Not your bad at all. The Guardian and Telegraph using Britain as a synonym for the UK. Other's use it as a synonym for Great Britain which is just the island. I think the former makes more sense, since you'll have a British passport issued to you, even if you live on the Isle of Wight - or NI.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                The point is that the Irish border wil close in 95 days or so in case of no deal brexit and the troubles will start again
                Edit: the conversation has since moved on, rendering my comment pointless and some Dutch fella wrong.
                Last edited by Platypus; 29 July 2019, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Not your bad at all. The Guardian and Telegraph using Britain as a synonym for the UK. Other's use it as a synonym for Great Britain which is just the island. I think the former makes more sense, since you'll have a British passport issued to you, even if you live on the Isle of Wight - or NI.
                  He didn't say "British", he said "Britain's".
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    U.K. passport to cover the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Which I guess only proves the point about it being colloquially known as British.

If you ask certain people in Northern Ireland what they are, they would reply “British”, not “United Kingdomers”. Again, proving the point I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      U.K. passport to cover the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Which I guess only proves the point about it being colloquially known as British.

If you ask certain people in Northern Ireland what they are, they would reply “British”, not “United Kingdomers”. Again, proving the point I guess.
                      Again, you mentioned "Britain", not "British". One of them is a place, the other one, however you might wish it to be, ain't.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X