• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No deal better than a bad deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    You're right, I missed those 2 years, so below is the complete list of ALL dates, so far...

21-07-1999 / 14-01-2002 : Committee on Fisheries
    17-01-2002 / 19-07-2004 : Committee on Fisheries
    21-07-2004 / 14-01-2007 : Committee on Fisheries
    15-01-2007 / 30-01-2007 : Committee on Fisheries
    07-01-2009 / 13-07-2009 : Committee on Fisheries
    16-07-2009 / 18-01-2012 : Committee on Fisheries <- Here is the extremely selective dates used by Greenpeace
    19-01-2012 / 13-01-2013 : Committee on Fisheries

Source: Home | Nigel FARAGE | MEPs | European Parliament

Of course, Europa.eu could be lying
    Pop goes your bubble, just like meridian.

So let's ask you again - do you feel Greenpeace are being dishonest (in their very selective use of dates) ?
    You say a lot, yet don’t actually provide any information on how many meetings there were, or how many he attended.

Presumably, because that information is too hard for you to find.

As I wrote above, unless you’ve got any hard data that contradicts, 1/42 stands as the representative number.

If you dispute that, then present your numbers, otherwise jog on....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      You say a lot, yet don’t actually provide any information on how many meetings there were, or how many he attended.

Presumably, because that information is too hard for you to find.

As I wrote above, unless you’ve got any hard data that contradicts, 1/42 stands as the representative number.

If you dispute that, then present your numbers, otherwise jog on....
      You do realise what you're implying by that post right?

I dispute your implication, that no meetings were held by the Fisheries Committee during the following dates;
      07-01-2009 / 13-07-2009 : Committee on Fisheries <- Meeting linked below was held within these dates
      16-07-2009 / 18-01-2012 : Committee on Fisheries <- 'Greenpeace' statistic dates

In fact, I refute it:
      Committee on Fisheries | Multimedia centre | European Parliament

10th Feb 2009

No more sea-lioning from you.

pop goes your bubble.
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

You do realise what you're implying by that post right?

I dispute your implication, that no meetings were held by the Fisheries Committee during the following dates;
        07-01-2009 / 13-07-2009 : Committee on Fisheries <- Meeting linked below was held within these dates
        16-07-2009 / 18-01-2012 : Committee on Fisheries <- 'Greenpeace' statistic dates

In fact, I refute it:
        Committee on Fisheries | Multimedia centre | European Parliament

10th Feb 2009

No more sea-lioning from you.

pop goes your bubble.
        At no point have I said that there were no other meetings. Clearly there were, and nobody is disputing that.

The thing is, though, that you simply can’t verify one way or the other how many of those Farage attended. The commonly-stated position of 1/42 for the specified period isn’t in dispute, and as a representative sample of the rest of his career I’m happy to extrapolate from that.

The sad fact is that you have no evidence otherwise, that he attended proportionally any more meetings in the previous years.

And it’s telling that Farage himself hasn’t attempted to refute the 1/42 by detailing his attendance over the previous years either.

At the end of the day, you’ve got nothing.

Comment

Not quite what a quick google search of the word 'constructive' returns but hey ho.
          You didn't ask me for a google definition of Constructive. You asked me what I meant when I used the word constructive, which I used in a phrase about debate and discussion

Addressing Q1, Q2, Q4 & Q5 (Not committee, EP) but still...
          But still? But still, it's not addressing the committee of about 50 people, it's addressing a group of >600. In other words, it's not the committee.

PS. The right to have a different opinion is not the same as a right to force people to listen to your opinion, besides their opinions are recorded in the EU equivalent of Hansard aren't they?
          So if NF's opinion in the fisheries committee is recorded somewhere, perhaps you'd care to share them all so that we can see how constructive his opinions were.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

At no point have I said that there were no other meetings. Clearly there were, and nobody is disputing that.

The thing is, though, that you simply can’t verify one way or the other how many of those Farage attended. The commonly-stated position of 1/42 for the specified period isn’t in dispute, and as a representative sample of the rest of his career I’m happy to extrapolate from that.

The sad fact is that you have no evidence otherwise, that he attended proportionally any more meetings in the previous years.

And it’s telling that Farage himself hasn’t attempted to refute the 1/42 by detailing his attendance over the previous years either.

At the end of the day, you’ve got nothing.
            At no point did I say you had, I said you implied it and you did

Even without knowing if he attended, the '/42' is the bit that would change though, depending on how many meetings there were outside those selective dates.

You are correct though, the EU doesn't make attendance figures easily accessible to the public, which is unusual for a supra-national organisation that publicly, lauds more transparency.
            (I suppose we can file this under; reformation ideas to be suggested and ignored at the next plenary session)

To use beermat maths, Greenpeace used meetings held over 3 years, out of 13 years that they could have used..........hmmmm if it looks like a small sample size, smells like a small sample size, what is it?
            (Further question, what do statisticians/scientists etc. usually say to people who try to extrapolate from a study/poll with small sample sizes and apply it to the whole?)

At the end of the day, you're just parroting something you've heard.
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

You're right, I missed those 2 years, so below is the complete list of ALL dates, so far...

07-01-2009 / 13-07-2009 : Committee on Fisheries
              16-07-2009 / 18-01-2012 : Committee on Fisheries <- Here is the extremely selective dates used by Greenpeace

Source: Home | Nigel FARAGE | MEPs | European Parliament

Of course, Europa.eu could be lying
              Pop goes your bubble, just like meridian.

So let's ask you again - do you feel Greenpeace are being dishonest (in their very selective use of dates) ?
              Your sole argument then, is not to defend the FACT that he only attended 1 out of 42 meetings in the three years referenced, but to say that he MAY have attended a higher proportion of meetings in other years.

ok, let's assume he attended 100% of meetings in the years prior to 2010 ..... are you still happy that for the years 2010 - 2012 he only attended 1 out of 42? Do you think that, for someone who is supposed to be on that committee defending the rights of the British fisherman and is paid to do so, that this is acceptable?
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                You didn't ask me for a google definition of Constructive. You asked me what I meant when I used the word constructive, which I used in a phrase about debate and discussion
                Indeed, I am merely commenting with my observation, as an aside (hence the 'anyway'), that your definition is quite different from 'google' or a dictionary definition of that word.

But still? But still, it's not addressing the committee of about 50 people, it's addressing a group of >600. In other words, it's not the committee.
                It goes someway to prove, that he can and does contribute using those qualities you listed as 'constructive', so it's not a major leap to suggest he could and does do the same in committees.

So if NF's opinion in the fisheries committee is recorded somewhere, perhaps you'd care to share them all so that we can see how constructive his opinions were.
                You're the EU-loving Europhile, you point me to the Europa.eu (or suitable alternative) resource and I can give it a look.

I've given it a good go today, providing links, quotes and numbers.....all you did was ask a few questions and skip answering a few of them, as the answers would probably show either; ignorance and/or bias.
                (If anything, you're close to sea-lioning to waste my time....couldn't answer a simple question with 'I don't know', instead choosing to deflect with new questions.....)
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

At no point did I say you had, I said you implied it and you did

Even without knowing if he attended, the '/42' is the bit that would change though, depending on how many meetings there were outside those selective dates.

You are correct though, the EU doesn't make attendance figures easily accessible to the public, which is unusual for a supra-national organisation that publicly, lauds more transparency.
                  (I suppose we can file this under; reformation ideas to be suggested and ignored at the next plenary session)

To use beermat maths, Greenpeace used meetings held over 3 years, out of 13 years that they could have used..........hmmmm if it looks like a small sample size, smells like a small sample size, what is it?
                  (Further question, what do statisticians/scientists etc. usually say to people who try to extrapolate from a study/poll with small sample sizes and apply it to the whole?)

At the end of the day, you're just parroting something you've heard.
                  Cool, we’re agreed then. Extrapolating and estimating, we can estimate that he attended 4/160.

All of which is the long way around to somewhat answering the question, does he care about fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Your sole argument then, is not to defend the FACT that he only attended 1 out of 42 meetings in the three years referenced, but to say that he MAY have attended a higher proportion of meetings in other years.

ok, let's assume he attended 100% of meetings in the years prior to 2010 ..... are you still happy that for the years 2010 - 2012 he only attended 1 out of 42?
                    Potentially, yes - have you read the earlier parts of the thread?
                    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Do you think that, for someone who is supposed to be on that committee defending the rights of the British fisherman and is paid to do so, that this is acceptable?
                    Again, potentially, there are many times when scheduling conflicts occur in parliaments and one must choose.

anyway meridian introduced that 'statistic' in post #13
                    Originally posted by meridian
                    His whining about not getting his way would be more believable if he turned up more than one in 42 meetings, and if he bothered to vote in any of the CFP legislation.
                    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2628845

My immediate response was to ask
                    Originally posted by Bean
                    Is 42, the total number of meetings the committee ever had? (specifically, whilst he was a member of the committee)

Could you qualify if he ever turned up to more than 1 committee meeting?
                    but no answers were forthcoming, despite meridian posting the disingenuous statistic...

Anyway, let's go back to the start;
                    Originally posted by WTFH
                    We could have been negotiating fishing rights around the EU, except the British MEP who was given the job didn't care about the UK fishing industry.
                    Is there a direct quote from the MEP in question?

Or are you asserting that due to his relatively low participation during votes?
                    (Something he asserts as being a result of always being outvoted by other members, so there being no point in his 'protest vote')

What was the committee voting weighting btw?
                    Did/does he have a point?
                    (I ask you personally, as you always bring this up but never address his own reasoning behind it...)
                    Originally posted by WTFH
                    He can claim to be outvoted all he wants - if he doesn't vote, he's always outvoted. Running away and taking his vote with him means he FAILED to carry out his job. He FAILED to represent the region that he was elected to represent.
                    He did vote though, in multiple votes on the fisheries committee, or do you believe otherwise? How many meetings HAS he attended, according to you?
                    (Or are you being very selective in what dates you are using to make your 'fact' true?)
                    So I asked some questions and these are still outstanding...

1. Is 42, the total number of meetings the committee ever had? - addressed to meridian
                    2. Could you qualify if he ever turned up to more than 1 committee meeting? - addressed to meridian
                    3. Is there a direct quote from the MEP in question? - addressed to WTFH
                    4. are you asserting that due to his relatively low participation during votes - addressed to WTFH
                    5. How many meetings HAS he attended, according to you - addressed to WTFH
                    6. are you being very selective in what dates you are using to make your 'fact' true? - addressed to WTFH

Questions 1&2 are to find out whether meridian would truly 'believe' him, given his "whining about not getting his way would be more believable" comment
                    Questions 3&4 are to find out why and how WTFH characterises him as 'not caring', or whether it's just solely bias
                    Questions 5&6 are to find out why & how WTFH characterises him as 'failing', given he's only using selective dates
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Cool, we’re agreed then. Extrapolating and estimating, we can estimate that he attended 4/160.

All of which is the long way around to somewhat answering the question, does he care about fishing.
                      from my previous post:
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X