• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No deal better than a bad deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Yes, we have a lovely trade deal, but it costs £10billion a year, and we can't even control our own fishing rights. Get back in your box, knob-ead...
    We could have been negotiating fishing rights around the EU, except the British MEP who was given the job didn't care about the UK fishing industry.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      We could have been negotiating fishing rights around the EU, except the British MEP who was given the job didn't care about the UK fishing industry.
      Is there a direct quote from the MEP in question?

Or are you asserting that due to his relatively low participation during votes?
      (Something he asserts as being a result of always being outvoted by other members, so there being no point in his 'protest vote')

What was the committee voting weighting btw?
      Did/does he have a point?
      (I ask you personally, as you always bring this up but never address his own reasoning behind it...)
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        No, he does not.

He’s being paid to represent his constituents in the EP and in committees. He’s not being paid to ‘win’ every time, he’s being paid to negotiate Britain’s interests and represent us no matter what the outcome.

His whining about not getting his way would be more believable if he turned up more than one in 42 meetings, and if he bothered to vote in any of the CFP legislation.

Comment

Or are you asserting that due to his relatively low participation during votes?
          (Something he asserts as being a result of always being outvoted by other members, so there being no point in his 'protest vote')
          He can claim to be outvoted all he wants - if he doesn't vote, he's always outvoted. Running away and taking his vote with him means he FAILED to carry out his job. He FAILED to represent the region that he was elected to represent.

What was the committee voting weighting btw?
          What do you mean by that? If you're asking how many were for negotiating and for democratic votes and agreements, I'd say "all bar one of them"
          If you're asking how each one would have voted on every vote and whether it is the same as how he would have voted, that's irrelevant as he did not vote.
          If you're asking what the political leaning of each person on the committee is, that is irrelevant if each one is supposed to be there representing their nation and trying to agree a deal.

(I ask you personally, as you always bring this up but never address his own reasoning behind it...)
          He didn't have a point that respected democracy, respected the job he was given, or respected the people he was sent to represent.

As for his reasoning behind it, it wasn't because he supports the United Kingdom Fishermen or is prepared to do any work on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            He can claim to be outvoted all he wants - if he doesn't vote, he's always outvoted. Running away and taking his vote with him means he FAILED to carry out his job. He FAILED to represent the region that he was elected to represent.

What do you mean by that? If you're asking how many were for negotiating and for democratic votes and agreements, I'd say "all bar one of them"
            If you're asking how each one would have voted on every vote and whether it is the same as how he would have voted, that's irrelevant as he did not vote.
            If you're asking what the political leaning of each person on the committee is, that is irrelevant if each one is supposed to be there representing their nation and trying to agree a deal.

He didn't have a point that respected democracy, respected the job he was given, or respected the people he was sent to represent.

As for his reasoning behind it, it wasn't because he supports the United Kingdom Fishermen or is prepared to do any work on their behalf.
            He did vote though, in multiple votes on the fisheries committee, or do you believe otherwise? How many meetings HAS he attended, according to you?
            (Or are you being very selective in what dates you are using to make your 'fact' true?)

I meant, given the votes that occurred, when he was absent - would his vote have mattered, how many UKIP members were on the committee, versus how many total... i.e. Is his point about being outvoted valid or not

In fact, during the 'key votes' that people like to bring up, there were ~10 UKIP MEPs able to vote, and approximately 670 MEPs total - giving UKIP ~1.49% of the vote.... so yes, he did have a point.
            (i.e. if they all turn up and all vote against, the net result is the same, outvoted)

HTH
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              No, he does not.

He’s being paid to represent his constituents in the EP and in committees. He’s not being paid to ‘win’ every time, he’s being paid to negotiate Britain’s interests and represent us no matter what the outcome.

His whining about not getting his way would be more believable if he turned up more than one in 42 meetings, and if he bothered to vote in any of the CFP legislation.
              Is 42, the total number of meetings the committee ever had? (specifically, whilst he was a member of the committee)

Could you qualify if he ever turned up to more than 1 committee meeting?

Oh wait, you've simply swallowed the anti-UKIP propaganda and are now parroting a figure (1/42) which uses very narrow dates, instead of including all the dates he was on the committee - fancy that

Pop - there goes your bubble!
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Is 42, the total number of meetings the committee ever had? (specifically, whilst he was a member of the committee)

Could you qualify if he ever turned up to more than 1 committee meeting?

Oh wait, you've simply swallowed the anti-UKIP propaganda and are now parroting a figure (1/42) which uses very narrow dates, instead of including all the dates he was on the committee - fancy that

Pop - there goes your bubble!
                No, there were far more meetings while he was a member. Feel free to fill in the blanks with your own verifiable data, otherwise the 1/42 stands as representative of his care and attendance. It's certainly representative of his care and attendance for the period that those meetings and votes cover (obvs).

The main point though, which you chose to ignore, is that he’s being paid to represent his constituents in the EP and in committees. He’s not being paid to ‘win’ every time, he’s being paid to negotiate Britain’s interests and represent us no matter what the outcome. If he cared about fishing as much as he cared about Brexit, he would have turned up regardless and argued his case every time.
                Last edited by meridian; 5 March 2019, 17:29.

Comment

He did vote though, in multiple votes on the fisheries committee, or do you believe otherwise? How many meetings HAS he attended, according to you?
                  (Or are you being very selective in what dates you are using to make your 'fact' true?)

I meant, given the votes that occurred, when he was absent - would his vote have mattered, how many UKIP members were on the committee, versus how many total... i.e. Is his point about being outvoted valid or not

In fact, during the 'key votes' that people like to bring up, there were ~10 UKIP MEPs able to vote, and approximately 670 MEPs total - giving UKIP ~1.49% of the vote.... so yes, he did have a point.
                  (i.e. if they all turn up and all vote against, the net result is the same, outvoted)

HTH
                  How often was he outvoted in the fisheries committee?
                  How often did he debate and discuss in the fisheries committee?
                  Was he there representing UKIP or was he democratically elected to represent part of the UK?

Please, provide the answers before wasting my time with any more of your fluff.

Comment

HTH
                    arh, diddums. Did he not like the fact that he is in a minority, alt-right group, and therefore in voting he's going to lose more times than not. Maybe he shouldn't be such a prick then.

That's the thing about being a minority - your views are in the extreme. If you want to become the majority you need to win the hearts and minds of the majority and win them to your side.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      arh, diddums. Did he not like the fact that he is in a minority, alt-right group, and therefore in voting he's going to lose more times than not. Maybe he shouldn't be such a prick then.

That's the thing about being a minority - your views are in the extreme. If you want to become the majority you need to win the hearts and minds of the majority and win them to your side.
                      Reading this thread demonstrates everything that is wrong with the UK and its relationship with the EU.

We have on this thread, remainers complaining about a UKMEP who apparently has repeatedly not done the job he was ELECTED to do and being paid to do.

On the other hand we have a Brexiteer defending that UK MEP and putting forward an argument that the MEPs view was that he was simply out gunned and therefore his vote was irrelevant.

I can sympathise with both sides of this argument and the actually truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. however, it doesn't get away from the fact that the UK MEP is elected by the UK people, and the same people seem to be elected by the UK people as MEPs time and time again. If the remainers on here have such a problem with the current crop of MEPs why did they continually keep getting elected as MEPs. It is because the UK populous has actually never believed that the UK gets a good deal out of the EU and therefore continually votes in Eurosceptics as its MEPs. Remember the UK MEPs were elected you all of you (well those eligible to vote) on here, so if you don't like what you've got all you ever had to do was to utilise your power at the ballot box. If you don't like something there is no point in moaning about it get off your backside and do something about it when you have the opportunity to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X