• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corbyn's end game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    There was a referendum on this. I disagreed with the result - but it should be respected.
    So we should only vote once in General election and never again?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      it's illegal to vote more than once in a General Election.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
        There was a referendum on this. I disagreed with the result - but it should be respected.
        It all boils down to how the question was phrased though. The whole AV thing was a half-baked fudge
        Besides where have you been?
        This is the 21st Century.............Referendum results don't HAVE to be respected anymore. All you need to do is scweam and scweam and hold your breath and it gets ignored.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          It all boils down to how the question was phrased though. The whole AV thing was a half-baked fudge
          Besides where have you been?
          This is the 21st Century.............Referendum results don't HAVE to be respected anymore. All you need to do is scweam and scweam and hold your breath and it gets ignored.

There's a long-standing tradition. Theresa May, Liam Fox, John Redwood, Bill Cash and Bernard Jenkin voted against the establishment of the Welsh Assembly, after the referendum result in favour of its establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            There's a long-standing tradition. Theresa May, Liam Fox, John Redwood, Bill Cash and Bernard Jenkin voted against the establishment of the Welsh Assembly, after the referendum result in favour of its establishment.
            "voted against the establishment of the Welsh Assembly"

and so did I, but I have no choice but to accept its existence. But as I told a researcher delegated to interview me about how I thought the Welsh Assembly was doing, I wouldn't engage, as to do would give the Assembly credibility that it didn't deserve in my eyes. The Welsh Nationalists were deluded. They felt they could win power, they forgot that the predominant political landscape of Wales is Labour. So there was only ever going to be a Labour Administration, without any realistic prospect of any other government.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              "voted against the establishment of the Welsh Assembly"

and so did I, but I have no choice but to accept its existence. But as I told a researcher delegated to interview me about how I thought the Welsh Assembly was doing, I wouldn't engage, as to do would give the Assembly credibility that it didn't deserve in my eyes. The Welsh Nationalists were deluded. They felt they could win power, they forgot that the predominant political landscape of Wales is Labour. So there was only ever going to be a Labour Administration, without any realistic prospect of any other government.
              Yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                The problem with having a 2nd referendum if you put any specific Brexit on the ballot paper, e.g. Mays deal or remain, you immediately disenfranchise some of the electorate. If for example someone disagrees that Mays deal is the way forward and actually want to vote for no deal but that isn't on the ballot paper what do they do if No deal is not on the ballot paper. Their right to vote has been removed and the whole process has suddenly become non democratic and subject to legal challenge. This is why a 2nd ref is not a realistic option unless it is a simple binary in/out choice again and what does that solve. those wanting out still have no idea what out means.

Comment

Ref requires more time, General Election not - I think it’s the only way out for her

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                    The problem with having a 2nd referendum if you put any specific Brexit on the ballot paper, e.g. Mays deal or remain, you immediately disenfranchise some of the electorate. If for example someone disagrees that Mays deal is the way forward and actually want to vote for no deal but that isn't on the ballot paper what do they do if No deal is not on the ballot paper. Their right to vote has been removed and the whole process has suddenly become non democratic and subject to legal challenge. This is why a 2nd ref is not a realistic option unless it is a simple binary in/out choice again and what does that solve. those wanting out still have no idea what out means.
                    Err, no, that’s not how it works.

The SNP isn’t on my GE ballot paper, that doesn’t mean that I’ve been disenfranchised.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      Err, no, that’s not how it works.

The SNP isn’t on my GE ballot paper, that doesn’t mean that I’ve been disenfranchised.
                      Get real and stop being so stupid. A GE and A REFERENDUM are the same and yet so different.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                      X