• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP Attempts to subvert the will of parliamnet, colludes with foreign power.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    No that is not how I read the report. What I am saying is that if you read a different report you you have that there are a greater number of labour leave supporters than there are remain supporters.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    The report you linked to was by constituency.
    The other report was by voter.

Remember how the referendum was done by voter, not by constituency?
    It was the total number of votes across the whole country, not the average of the percentages per constituency.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      The report you linked to was by constituency.
      The other report was by voter.

Remember how the referendum was done by voter, not by constituency?
      It was the total number of votes across the whole country, not the average of the percentages per constituency.
      Try using simpler language for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Try using simpler language for him.
        Your report was an extrapolation of a poll conducted ???? Not the actual result of the referendum.

Comment

Your report was an extrapolation of a poll conducted ???? Not the actual result of the referendum.

Your report was based on the same data, but then they attempted to aggregate it by constituencies, then reported back based on the constituencies.

Let's say there are 150 voters and 75 of them voted one way. That's 75/150 = 50%
          But if you then say 100 of those voters are in constituency A, and 65 of the people who voted one way were in that constituency, then 65% from constituency A voted that way
          The other 50 voters are in constituency B, and so 10 of them voted the same way. That's 20% of constituency B.
          So, based on constituency data, the average is 42.5% ((65+20)/2)

Based on the actual vote, the difference is considerable.

Then what happens is someone takes the constituency stats and then converts them back up, to suit their reporting.

Comment

Of course it is.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Then what happens is someone takes the stats and then converts them, to suit their reporting.
              FTFY

The joys of lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Comment

FTFY

The joys of lies, damn lies, and statistics.
                No, the joys of your link. You chose to "fix" my quote to remove the word that points out the flaw in your argument.

Comment

And yet if you look at a different source of information you get a slightly different answer

Did a majority of Conservative and Labour constituencies vote to leave in the EU referendum? - Full Fact

just saying
                  Been offline just logged on ..... I see others have corrected you already. Do you understand where you are wrong now?

Firstly, my data was based on how individuals voted in the 2015 GE and how these same people voted in the referendum. Your data is based on the 2017 GE voting.

Secondly, your data only talks about constituencies. My data was individuals. I don't think it's under discussion that a majority of Labour constituencies voted out, but this does not follow that Labour voters voted out. You do understand that not everyone who lives in a Labour area votes Labour? You do realise that others parties get votes too?

Old Greg even helped you with his post at 14:02 "Maybe they are confused about the difference between Labour voters and voters in Labour constituencies. An easy enough mistake to make for a cretin." Yet you still fall into the same error.

Well done though. You found a page with data which doesn't support your argument. You, OPM and Shauny are on fire this last few days
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Been offline just logged on ..... I see others have corrected you already. Do you understand where you are wrong now?

Firstly, my data was based on how individuals voted in the 2015 GE and how these same people voted in the referendum. Your data is based on the 2017 GE voting.

Secondly, your data only talks about constituencies. My data was individuals. I don't think it's under discussion that a majority of Labour constituencies voted out, but this does not follow that Labour voters voted out. You do understand that not everyone who lives in a Labour area votes Labour? You do realise that others parties get votes too?

Old Greg even helped you with his post at 14:02 "Maybe they are confused about the difference between Labour voters and voters in Labour constituencies. An easy enough mistake to make for a cretin." Yet you still fall into the same error.

Well done though. You found a page with data which doesn't support your argument. You, OPM and Shauny are on fire this last few days
                    You completely fail to see the point I am trying to make. The point was all these polls are nothing but tulip.
                    Your stats are based on a poll, a small (compared to the size of the electorate) sample of people and then the result is extrapolated. If the sample of labour votes was taken in say London which voted predominately for remain you get a completely different result than if your sample of labour voters was from say Grimsby, which voted 70% to leave, and perform the same extrapolation.
                    The problem with polls is you can make them say pretty much what ever you want. If you can't see that then you have a very closed mind to data, data extrapolation, and holistic thinking.
                    As I said previously it all....

Lies damn lies and statistics.
                    Xxx

Comment

You completely fail to see the point I am trying to make. The point was all these polls are nothing but tulip.
                      Your stats are based on a poll, a small (compared to the size of the electorate) sample of people and then the result is extrapolated. If the sample of labour votes was taken in say London which voted predominately for remain you get a completely different result than if your sample of labour voters was from say Grimsby, which voted 70% to leave, and perform the same extrapolation.
                      The problem with polls is you can make them say pretty much what ever you want. If you can't see that then you have a very closed mind to data, data extrapolation, and holistic thinking.
                      As I said previously it all....

Lies damn lies and statistics.
                      Xxx

What do you estimate the margin of error to be in the poll I cited?

Comment

Working...
                      X