• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to respond to failure...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It has always been clear that the Tories can't deliver Brexit, it will be Labour that finishes the job no deal or not no deal.

No deal will be temporary if it happens, and the Tories will be "toast".

Labour can't "deliver" Brexit either.

Comment

I would not now rule out Tories resigning the whip and installing Jez as a caretaker prime minister.

for that to happen they'd need to have a GE.
      I don't believe that under the fixed term parliament act the governing party can change without a vote of no confidence.
      Removal of May directly is no longer an options as the ERG fooked that one up.

2nd referendum is rapidly becoming the only way out. If parliament continues to thwart May I can't see any other option.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I don't believe that under the fixed term parliament act the governing party can change without a vote of no confidence.
        That would surprise me (but it may be true). I would expect that the queen could invite any MP who might command a majority to form a government.

Comment

How to respond to failure...
          Couldn't we just ask Suity for some professional advice?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

2nd referendum is rapidly becoming the only way out. If parliament continues to thwart May I can't see any other option.
            No they don't they just need to resign the Tory whip, and cross the house, May loses a no confidence vote and then the Queen has to call in the leader of the opposition to ask him whether he can form an alternative government.

If May accepts a no deal as default that would be the only way to stop it.

I mean the Tory rebels may just sit on their hands, but what would be the point of resigning the Tory whip. That's a nuclear option which effectively finishes their careers and if they didn't stop no deal it would be a totally pointless gesture.

If they do "go down" they'll want to be able to say they stopped the no deal. If this happened they'd simply support Brexit decisions on a limited support basis and then at some later point there will be a GE.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 January 2019, 11:54.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

No they don't they just need to resign the Tory whip, and cross the house, May loses a no confidence vote and then the Queen has to call in the leader of the opposition to ask him whether he can form an alternative government.

If May accepts a no deal as default that would be the only way to stop it.

I mean the Tory rebels may just sit on their hands, but what would be the point of resigning the Tory whip. That's a nuclear option which effectively finishes their careers and if they didn't stop no deal it would be a totally pointless gesture.

If they do "go down" they'll want to be able to say they stopped the no deal. If this happened they'd simply support Brexit decisions on a limited support basis and then at some later point there will be a GE.

All that's needed at that stage is for Jezza to revoke article 50 and call a GE, then we can put this whole sorry mess behind us (except for a lot of gammon whingeing).

He won't do that though. 2nd referendum it is then.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As May's deputy, Liddington, put it today:

I don’t think that the British public are served by fantasies about magical alternative deals that are somehow going to sort of spring out of a cupboard in Brussels.This deal on the table has involved some very difficult give and take on both sides and if you go around and talk to the other EU 27 governments they will say that there are elements of this that cause them some political pain, but they are very clear, in conversations I have had with them as well as their public statements, they ain’t going to be going back and unpicking this for some brand new brilliant renegotiations.
                So, the choice that people have is this deal or it is no deal or it is, as some MPs advocate, to reverse the 2016 referendum entirely.
                So May or Stay...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Couldn't we just ask Suity for some professional advice?
                  He's too busy with his London airports anti drone BPM tool.

Comment

This smacks of desperation:

Ministers tell Theresa May to force through Brexit by calling election for days after EU withdrawal | The Independent

Brexiteer ministers have indicated that even if the no-confidence vote planned by Labour goes against her, it would be in her gift to set the date of an ensuing election after Brexit Day on March 29.

One cabinet minister backing the plan told The Independent it would mean Ms May could steer the country out of the EU with or without a deal before going to the polls in early April, adding: “The public are saying, ‘just f***ing get on with it’.”
                    Bring it on, the Tories going into an election with queues of lorries at the border, thousands of workers laid off until there is a Brexit deal and ex moderate Tories standing against new candidates hastily recruited from the EDL. Lets see how well that pans out.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

She can still resign.

Comment

Working...
                      X