• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa survives - badly wounded though

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You are missing the point - they people of the Uk voted to leave.

All those who opposed it have all had their chance to say how much of a bad idea that was, to call all the people who voted Brexit cretins and to throw their toys out of the pram - which they have all done.

However they have had that chance, they have had their say, and we all said ok well thanks for the input - however now they need to shut up and do the best they can for the UK population.
    You say "and do the best they can for the UK population". How does this square with a No deal Brexit which so many leavers are praying for?

How does putting up tariff and Non tariff barriers to trade with our largest export market, a situation likely to lead to massive economic contraction contribute to your goal to "do the best they can for the UK population"?

How does the UK falling out of every single free trade deal the EU has negotiated (which would happen in a No deal situation as the EU would veto our continued participation on those deals)
    contribute to your goal to "do the best they can for the UK population"?

Brexiters are asking us to embark on a course of action that has no precedent. A major world economy putting up barriers to trade with it's largest trading partner. They can't tell us how long the 'Short term disruption' would last for, nor can they tell us how many jobs would be lost, nor by how much would GDP be shrunk, yet they have the brass neck to rain insults on those who are simply trying to ensure the economy is not blown up by the demented Brexit demands.

Comment

Cannot remember but they lost - Labour got in after it being a tory seat since 2008...

We are quite marginal where we are due to the large spread of socio economic classes.
      Did you vote for the Tory because they had a good voting record in Parliament, they supported policies that were good for your region, etc?

Or, conversely, now that you can see the voting record of the Labour incumbent, would you vote for them now?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Did you vote for the Tory because they had a good voting record in Parliament, they supported policies that were good for your region, etc?

Or, conversely, now that you can see the voting record of the Labour incumbent, would you vote for them now?
        I would probably not vote for labour unless they get rid of Corbyn.

I also do not believe labour would have handled this any better than the tories.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          I guess only time will tell for sure ... but MPs in the house seem pretty sure that A50 can be revoked or extended. The debates last week also ensured that when the government lost 3 votes, ensuring that parliament can vote on the final deal (or to revoke or extend A50). Parliament makes laws, and hence also has the ability to change laws. I agree time is short, but where there is a will (and there in with the majority of MPs to avoid a hard no deal Brexit) then there is a way.

The ERG know all this. Farage knows all this. Hence why both are in a panic and trying everything in their power to throw rocks at what they see as the inevitable end game. They've lost, they just haven't accepted that fact yet.
          No, they are now allowed to amend the next bill that must be presented to parliament within 21 days of this one being knocked back.

Then you all have 5 weeks left.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            No, they are now allowed to amend the next bill that must be presented to parliament within 21 days of this one being knocked back.

Then you all have 5 weeks left.
            Is it a bill or a 'meaningful vote'? I've lost track.

Comment

I would probably not vote for labour unless they get rid of Corbyn.

I also do not believe labour would have handled this any better than the tories.
              And the Tory that you voted for, did/does s/he support policies that are good for your region? Not just Brexit, but social, housing, economic, etc?

What I’m trying to get at is, are you voting for an MP that is intelligent and works hard for your region, or are you just voting for a rosette?

Comment

And the Tory that you voted for, did/does s/he support policies that are good for your region? Not just Brexit, but social, housing, economic, etc?

What I’m trying to get at is, are you voting for an MP that is intelligent and works hard for your region, or are you just voting for a rosette?
                As I said in my region there is a large spread of socio economic groups - so I know if I vote for labour and labour get in my taxes will go up because me and the missus bring in an above average income.

So I have to vote in self interest because no one in a less fortunate financial position will vote for me to pay less taxes.

Both politicians said they had great ideas for the region and would bring in support etc etc but who believes election manifestos as being anything other than someone's best intentions.

Why did you vote the way you did?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Is it a bill or a 'meaningful vote'? I've lost track.

It's a bill... £39billion.

You can't have a meaningful vote on something that you don't understand.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    Only the clueless fuqwits.
                    Stop voting them in then.
                    Where do you live and who do you vote for which enables you to take such a highfalutin stance?
                    As I said in my region there is a large spread of socio economic groups - so I know if I vote for labour and labour get in my taxes will go up because me and the missus bring in an above average income.

So I have to vote in self interest because no one in a less fortunate financial position will vote for me to pay less taxes.

Both politicians said they had great ideas for the region and would bring in support etc etc but who believes election manifestos as being anything other than someone's best intentions.

Why did you vote the way you did?
                    There's the answer, then. I take a "highfalutin" stance because I vote for someone that I think will do something decent for the region and the people that live in it, regardless of party affiliation, whereas you're voting out of self-interest. Even if the person you're voting in is a clueless fuqwit, as Zig put it.

Comment

Working...
                    X