• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you like your Brino served ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you like your Brino served ?

Soft or hard

Parliament assumes control of Brexit

It's either May's "hard" Brino or parliament's "soft" version.

I think some "hard" Brexiters are about to vote themselves out of their constituencies by becoming enemies of the people,

I'm alright Jack

So May loses control to parliament. Which is a start.

Now we need parliament to lose control to the people....

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Soft or hard

Parliament assumes control of Brexit

It's either May's "hard" Brino or parliament's "soft" version.

I think some "hard" Brexiters are about to vote themselves out of their constituencies by becoming enemies of the people,

Well so long as 'parliament' understand they only exist to support the democratic will of the people all will be fine.

Or do you think a few people in parliament should be able to overturn the democratic will of the people?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Well so long as 'parliament' understand they only exist to support the democratic will of the people all will be fine.

Or do you think a few people in parliament should be able to overturn the democratic will of the people?
        Parliament only exists to serve MPs.

That much was made very clear by their pay rise in 1997.

Comment

Unless parliament decides otherwise and to ignore it as they have been trying to do recently, well one person in particular
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Original, you may have many good qualities. You may make a fine great-grandparent for example. But, in case nobody told you, you are a simpleton.

As a result you should really think twice before making remarks like the one quoted. You should first ask yourself 'Where did I get that idea from - is it written down somewhere, did somebody reliable relate to this to me?, etc. Secondly you should take some time to ponder whether this could possibly be true. Adopt the contrarian position and make a case why your position may just be slightly flawed. I'm sure you're not an idiot; you are just prone to leaving your critical capabilities switched off when certain airy-fairy subjects crop up.
            • Nobody said Parliament is there to support the democratic will of the people. Its origins are far from that idea, and it's only there today because nobody can arrange for a better system.
            • Nobody can agree on the meaning of 'democratic'.
            • Nobody can define what people voting 'Leave' were precisely voting for. Some might well have thought Hard Brexit but an awful lot of the noise indicates a significant number were thinking in terms of cake-and-eat-it ie having all the toted benefits whilst keeping all the useful/advantageous aspects of still being a part of Europe. Did people vote for no Norway? did people vote for no Canada++?

To say Parliament acts in a democratic way is true by virtue of tautology. Democracy is Parliament. Whatever it does automatically complies.

So your statement (like Brexit) is vague, meaningless, and unsubstantiated.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

How do YOU think a representative democracy works?

Comment

Where do you get these quaint ideas from?

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                Original, you may have many good qualities. You may make a fine great-grandparent for example. But, in case nobody told you, you are a simpleton.

As a result you should really think twice before making remarks like the one quoted. You should first ask yourself 'Where did I get that idea from - is it written down somewhere, did somebody reliable relate to this to me?, etc. Secondly you should take some time to ponder whether this could possibly be true. Adopt the contrarian position and make a case why your position may just be slightly flawed. I'm sure you're not an idiot; you are just prone to leaving your critical capabilities switched off when certain airy-fairy subjects crop up.
                • Nobody said Parliament is there to support the democratic will of the people. Its origins are far from that idea, and it's only there today because nobody can arrange for a better system.
                • Nobody can agree on the meaning of 'democratic'.
                • Nobody can define what people voting 'Leave' were precisely voting for. Some might well have thought Hard Brexit but an awful lot of the noise indicates a significant number were thinking in terms of cake-and-eat-it ie having all the toted benefits whilst keeping all the useful/advantageous aspects of still being a part of Europe. Did people vote for no Norway? did people vote for no Canada++?

To say Parliament acts in a democratic way is true by virtue of tautology. Democracy is Parliament. Whatever it does automatically complies.

So your statement (like Brexit) is vague, meaningless, and unsubstantiated.
                I think sadly your effort will be received as TH;DU
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

All revolutions fizzle out in the end.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X