• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK can unilaterally revoke article 50

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK can unilaterally revoke article 50

Brexit news latest: UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50 and reverse Brexit, top EU law officer says | London Evening Standard

You can see where all of this is heading
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

indeed

although I still think it will be BRINO.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        indeed

although I still think it will be BRINO.

Looks like its BRINO or 2nd ref. The no-deal option has been put to bed.
        The EU will bring out a "concession" they've agreed on in advance and the cretins will be allowed to save face.
        Fast forward a few years later and the UK will re-apply to join after 1.x% growth leaves it bottom of Europe
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I am still hoping for a 2nd referendum resulting in a dead heat

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I am still hoping for a 2nd referendum resulting in a dead heat
            More
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              The EU will bring out a "concession" they've agreed on in advance and the cretins will be allowed to save face.
              I've cynically suspected this for a while.

Comment

Indeed it will be a meaningless cosmetic change to the text which will be announced as a "major concession".

Second vote goes through with Boris and JRM protesting on the sidelines for street cred.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

*cough* it's an opinion by an Advocate General, not the actual judgement. Although his opinion is important, it carries no legal weight and is not the final decision on the matter - that can only come from the judges presiding over the case.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    *cough* it's an opinion by an Advocate General, not the actual judgement. Although his opinion is important, it carries no legal weight and is not the final decision on the matter - that can only come from the judges presiding over the case.
                    The odd thing about this case, is that all it is doing is seeking a judicial opinion from the EU's highest court on whether or not the UK can unilaterally revoke A50. It's not seeking to revoke it (that is not within it's power) but only a judgement on whether it can be done or not.

The "defendant" in this case is HMG of the UK - our own bloody government are the ones that don't want to know whether or not it is legally possible to unilaterally revoke, and have spent a fortune in our tax pounds on their own QCs to try to prevent this going to a hearing to find out.

Comment

Working...
                    X