• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK can unilaterally revoke article 50

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    If May's BRINO (the upcoming amended one with the minor "concession" sold as a major one ) is rejected for a 2nd time, the options will have dwindled to hard Brexit or 2nd ref.

It seems this fact is daily being imprinted on the consciousness of MPs - and so the (upcoming amended) BRINO will most likely be voted through.

It condemns the UK to life in the slow lane while being a rule taker. Bet hey free movement has been abolished ....
    Which means we have the worst of all worlds - still effectively in the EU, but without one of the main "benefits". I've always been in two minds about FoM, but business wanted it, and if we have to have it, at least we can also move around if we choose to. For me, it's more important that we leave the EU. Now it looks like we're not going to, and we won't have FoM either. The rest of the EU will continue to help themselves to our fishing waters, and we'll still have their idiotic quotas (which the Spanish in particular completely ignore).
    My preference is to leave with no deal, but if that's not an option we might as well stay in as we were. However unpalatable that may be, it is marginally better that May's deal - which isn't so much a deal as a capitulation. No wonder Juncker looked so happy when it was agreed. All his wet dreams arrived at once.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
      At least May's deal will bring the country together again. We'll all be bremoaners.
      Not all, no. Some of us will be schadenfreude gloaters.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Which means we have the worst of all worlds - still effectively in the EU, but without one of the main "benefits". I've always been in two minds about FoM, but business wanted it, and if we have to have it, at least we can also move around if we choose to. For me, it's more important that we leave the EU. Now it looks like we're not going to, and we won't have FoM either. The rest of the EU will continue to help themselves to our fishing waters, and we'll still have their idiotic quotas (which the Spanish in particular completely ignore).
        My preference is to leave with no deal, but if that's not an option we might as well stay in as we were. However unpalatable that may be, it is marginally better that May's deal - which isn't so much a deal as a capitulation. No wonder Juncker looked so happy when it was agreed. All his wet dreams arrived at once.
        What happens when you go to a gun fight with a pocket knife. It was totally predictable to anyone with a brain.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

The backstop being that they will rush through the people's vote when May's deal is voted down in Parliament, giving the significant 'remainers' an option that involves simply revoking Article 50.

The two options on the people's vote will be:

1. May's deal
          2. Remain

There will be no 'no deal' option as it's not in the country's best interests. If May's deal wins the people's vote then that's when Corbyn and the tory rebels will push for something else, likely via a tory leadership challenge and a general election as the only way to appear to be doing what the people wish while manipulating things for their own ends as usual.

What are ladbrokes offering on 'Remain via Article 50 revocation'? Got to be worth a punt.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Not all, no. Some of us will be schadenfreude gloaters.
            Fair enough.

I can't help thinking, even if May's deal gets passed by Parliament, that it will never come to fruition.

It's 10 years since the GFC and we must be due a global financial shock, within the next couple of years or so, that could derail the whole thing.

Best laid plans of mice and men etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              The backstop being that they will rush through the people's vote when May's deal is voted down in Parliament, giving the significant 'remainers' an option that involves simply revoking Article 50.

The two options on the people's vote will be:

1. May's deal
              2. Remain

There will be no 'no deal' option as it's not in the country's best interests. If May's deal wins the people's vote then that's when Corbyn and the tory rebels will push for something else, likely via a tory leadership challenge and a general election as the only way to appear to be doing what the people wish while manipulating things for their own ends as usual.

What are ladbrokes offering on 'Remain via Article 50 revocation'? Got to be worth a punt.
              If Parliament votes down May's deal (it won't happen on 2nd attempt BTW) why on earth would it be an option on the 2nd ref?
              Parliament have fulfilled their constitutional duty and rejected it.
              If it came to another ref it would have to be (1) No Deal vs (2) Remain.
              But as others have pointed out, the timing for option 2 isn't really there.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

If Parliament votes down May's deal (it won't happen on 2nd attempt BTW) why on earth would it be an option on the 2nd ref?
                Parliament have fulfilled their constitutional duty and rejected it.
                If it came to another ref it would have to be (1) No Deal vs (2) Remain.
                But as others have pointed out, the timing for option 2 isn't really there.
                May and her supporters will put it to the country, the significant number of true remainer MPs in both tory and labour camps would agree to it if they get a remain option.

If May and all the faux brexiters (Gove, Bozo, ...) really wanted out they would have been planning for 'no deal' as a last resort from day one so not reliant on getting a good deal from the EU, not the 'anything is better than no deal' they are now filling the media with. What has happened to May's 'no deal is better than a bad deal'?

There is no appetite for a majority 'no deal' in parliament any more than for May's deal, so remain it is. Though as you say there may not be time to get to a 'remain' through before March 2019 so would have to rejoin on new terms, kicking off yet another round of discord.

That's the way I see it currently.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

What happens when you go to a gun fight with a pocket knife. It was totally predictable to anyone with a brain.
                  If that's metaphor for sending civil servants to do our negotiating, it's an appropriate one. I've yet to encounter a civil servant who can wipe their own backside. The moment we took no-deal off the table, the EU knew they had won. It was then only a matter of twisting the knife (which as you say, we had helpfully provided them).
                  We should have sent some real negotiators - I would have sent Claude from The Apprentice. One withering look from him and Barnier would have taken us seriously from the start.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If that's metaphor for sending civil servants to do our negotiating, it's an appropriate one. I've yet to encounter a civil servant who can wipe their own backside. The moment we took no-deal off the table, the EU knew they had won. It was then only a matter of twisting the knife (which as you say, we had helpfully provided them).
                    We should have sent some real negotiators - I would have sent Claude from The Apprentice. One withering look from him and Barnier would have taken us seriously from the start.
                    No the blunt pocket knives were David Davies (who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery- I daresay May knew that ), the rubbish British economy which doesn't make enough stuff and relies on finance, the ultras in the Tory party and finally thick as mince Brexiters who believed in fairy tales.

Given the impossibility of the brief, the deal they've come up with reasonable-ish all things considered. Far worse than remaining of course but that's what I mean by beleiving in fairy tales.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

The moment we took no-deal off the table, the EU knew they had won.
                      No deal isn't off the table, it is the table as of 11pm on 29th March 2019.

The politicians will piss about playing politics and the default will be no deal. Cue billions being poured into getting various IT systems in place 'overnight' to handle the new scenario. It will make Y2K contract rates look like chicken feed.

Bring it on.

Comment

Working...
                      X