• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons for voting Leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You voted leave because of a worst-case scenario you had dreamt up in your head?

How about: If the UK had stayed and had MEPs that bothered to turn up, we would have had great influence - after all those wonderful promises from the leave campaign about how great the UK is, it's surprising that our greatness wasn't more obvious in the EU - take fisheries policy, for example, surely the wonderful islands nation with so many fish around it - surely we would have had a good MEP on the policy committee, dedicated to being at the meetings, making sure our voice was heard, campaigning and voting for things that would benefit the UK.

Speaking of the UN Security Council, can you tell us which EU countries are permanent members of it?
    One MEP on the EU fisheries policy would hardly make a difference when you are fighting multiple voices from other countries who want access to your fishing waters. Unfortunately that is how democracy works, one opposing voice in the many is lost. imo if would probable make no difference whether that UK MEP turned up or not as our protests (one voice) were likely to be voted down by the many. Basically as an Island nation we should have preferential treatment/access to our fishing waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      I voted leave because I didn't want to be part of a European Super state that is heavily influenced by Germany. The UK will always be a 2nd class citizen within the EU. We may have had a seat at the top table but our voice was distinctly muted, imo.
      Influenced, yes, but not dominated. Believe it or not, in the past the UK was admired for it's diplomacy and managed to achieve a great deal inside the EU.

Case in point. Germany has requested that France give up is permanent seat on the UN security council so that the EU can have a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, i.e. Germany, as Germany believes that the EU should speak with a single voice (German) within the UN.
      Meh. "Germany" (or one politician in Germany) can request all it likes. The real question for the UN Security Council is when it needs to reform, to provide voices for South America, Africa, and South East Asia / Oceania. If/when this happens, do you think that the UK will retain an individual seat as a permanent member? More likely that the restructuring would promote the EU, Mercosur, India, Nigeria/South Africa, and Australasia/Japan at the expense of both France and the UK.

Comment

One MEP on the EU fisheries policy would hardly make a difference when you are fighting multiple voices from other countries who want access to your fishing waters. Unfortunately that is how democracy works, one opposing voice in the many is lost. imo if would probable make no difference whether that UK MEP turned up or not as our protests (one voice) were likely to be voted down by the many. Basically as an Island nation we should have preferential treatment/access to our fishing waters.
        FFS, the majority of UKs fishermen sold their UK registered boats to Spanish and French companies. They want to make easy bucks but now they changed their minds. I would also be a good idea to take a occasionally look at the maps. Half the English Channel is on the French side.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          FFS, the majority of UKs fishermen sold their UK registered boats to Spanish and French companies. They want to make easy bucks but now they changed their minds. I would also be a good idea to take a occasionally look at the maps. Half the English Channel is on the French side.
          Spoken like a true Southerner, nothing exists outside of the home counties. How many fishing boats from the North-East, Scotland, and the South-West regularly make the daily trip to fish in the Cannel?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Spoken like a true Southerner, nothing exists outside of the home counties. How many fishing boats from the North-East, Scotland, and the South-West regularly make the daily trip to fish in the Cannel?

How many meetings did the UK MEP attend of the fisheries committee?

You can Wail all you like about not having enough influence, being in the minority, not being heard, etc, but it doesn't matter how democratic a process is, if someone doesn't turn up when they are supposed to, even the most ardent supporter of them can't claim they even tried to do anything when they had the opportunity to.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              How many meetings did the UK MEP attend of the fisheries committee?

You can Wail all you like about not having enough influence, being in the minority, not being heard, etc, but it doesn't matter how democratic a process is, if someone doesn't turn up when they are supposed to, even the most ardent supporter of them can't claim they even tried to do anything when they had the opportunity to.
              True. You have to turn up to have a voice. But nothing you have said changes or contrdicts my original arguement. One voice against many will always lose. As an island nation the EU, I believe, had a duty to at least offer us preferential treatment wrt our fishing waters.

Comment

Originally from Liverpool actually old bean, but Liverpool voted to remain.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

True. You have to turn up to have a voice. But nothing you have said changes or contrdicts my original arguement. One voice against many will always lose. As an island nation the EU, I believe, had a duty to at least offer us preferential treatment wrt our fishing waters.

Give us some facts then.

What % of the total waters of the EU are the territorial waters of the U.K.?
                  What % is the UK’s share of the overall EU fishing catch?
                  What % of the UK’s catch is sold in the U.K ?
                  What % of the fish consumed in the U.K. is imported, not caught by U.K. fishermen?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    Give us some facts then.

What % of the total waters of the EU are the territorial waters of the U.K.?
                    What % is the UK’s share of the overall EU fishing catch?
                    What % of the UK’s catch is sold in the U.K ?
                    What % of the fish consumed in the U.K. is imported, not caught by U.K. fishermen?
                    The last 3 have no relevance as they ae about trade and not the right to fish or fishing quotas. But in answer to the first
                    Selection of offshore sites

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      And there's George Galloway who said. I will vote Brexit because it will bring down the Tory Government.
                      And he was 100% right
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X