• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons for voting Leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons for voting Leave

I thought I had heard all the reasons by now but just now a lady on the radio came out with a new one.

She voted Brexit because she hoped it would trigger a house price crash so she could afford to buy one. I think that is the most selfish and cretinous reason so far and explains the mindset of the Leaver...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I thought I had heard all the reasons by now but just now a lady on the radio came out with a new one.

She voted Brexit because she hoped it would trigger a house price crash so she could afford to buy one. I think that is the most selfish and cretinous reason so far and explains the mindset of the Leaver...
    I heard that reason from several people just after the referendum. Other stupid reasons give to me were...

I don't like NATO. NATO and the EU are the same thing; aren't they.

I don't like all these Polish. (Says a shop keeper employing Polish workers for ten years)

I though leaving the EU just meant we left and everything remained the same.

I've been to America (USA) on holiday and we should be more like America.

And there's George Galloway who said. I will vote Brexit because it will bring down the Tory Government.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I would say I heard some great reasons why people voted to remain.

But i'd be lying.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I would say I heard some great reasons why people voted to remain.

But i'd be lying.
        You hear a lot of what remain voters say - the problem you have though is you don't listen to what they say.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Its a great aim.

I thought the most common reason was wanting to give DC a kicking. No-one thought Brexit would be voted for.....

Comment

I've heard that before too, even on here I believe. Problem for any government is, Brits feel affluent because of the house prices. Suddenly take away that feeling and people start to tighten their belts as they feel less affluent. That's where the trouble then starts as this will trigger a recession. There will be less tax take, so less t spend on services. All this will be blamed on Brexit, then within 10 years we'll be voting to go back into Europe and we can kill off these Brexidiots once and for all.

As a home owner with a property close to 7 figure value and no mortgage I'm a bit meh .... if property prices crash (10, 15, 30%, or whatever) I'll just go and buy some more with the cash I have available. Then, when property prices bounce back in 10 years time I'll cash up and thank those Brexiters who caused the crash Win - win
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I voted leave because I didn't want to be part of a European Super state that is heavily influenced by Germany. The UK will always be a 2nd class citizen within the EU. We may have had a seat at the top table but our voice was distinctly muted, imo.
              Case in point. Germany has requested that France give up is permanent seat on the UN security council so that the EU can have a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, i.e. Germany, as Germany believes that the EU should speak with a single voice (German) within the UN.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                I voted leave because I didn't want to be part of a European Super state that is heavily influenced by Germany. The UK will always be a 2nd class citizen within the EU. We may have had a seat at the top table but our voice was distinctly muted, imo.
                Case in point. Germany has requested that France give up is permanent seat on the UN security council so that the EU can have a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, i.e. Germany, as Germany believes that the EU should speak with a single voice (German) within the UN.
                So rather than the UK taking an assertive position in the EU (like Maggie Thatcher) you prefer to run away and ask Mr Trump to look after your interests.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  So rather than the UK taking an assertive position in the EU (like Maggie Thatcher) you prefer to run away and ask Mr Trump to look after your interests.
                  Do you have any suggestions amongst our current political elite who might be able to take an assertive position with the EU. David Cameron perhaps who once promised to bring back a better deal for the UK. Now just look at what that assertive posturing got us.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post

You voted leave because of a worst-case scenario you had dreamt up in your head?

How about: If the UK had stayed and had MEPs that bothered to turn up, we would have had great influence - after all those wonderful promises from the leave campaign about how great the UK is, it's surprising that our greatness wasn't more obvious in the EU - take fisheries policy, for example, surely the wonderful islands nation with so many fish around it - surely we would have had a good MEP on the policy committee, dedicated to being at the meetings, making sure our voice was heard, campaigning and voting for things that would benefit the UK.

Speaking of the UN Security Council, can you tell us which EU countries are permanent members of it?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X