• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reasons for voting Leave"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Someone got out of bed on the wrong side! Funny how the Leavers are getting more and more angry now that things are going their way, makes me laugh. You won, get over it losers....
    Not angry at all. Nice try though.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Both sides lied manipulated but remain threatened, which people rejected:
    This. Absolutely this.

Of course there are the racists and fascists who misinterpreted 'Leave the EU' as 'End all foreigners in the UK forever'.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    The fishing quotas allocated to EU member states are actually based on what the fishermen were actually fishing in their national waters in the 1970s, before the CFP. So we shouldn't have lost out.

But, and its funny that the Leave campaign never bothered to mention this, in the 1970s the British fishermen were actually busy fishing in Icelandic waters, "stealing" their fish. As a result, British fishermen didn't actually catch all that much British fish and we ended up with a lower proportion of EU fishing quotas as a result. Iceland banished our fishermen in 1976.

It should also be noted that the UK's overall share of the EU's fishing catch is, I believe, the third highest share of any EU member state, behind Spain and Denmark.

Eurostat - Tables, Graphs and Maps Interface (TGM) table

In response to the fishing trade related questions, I found this UK govt published set of stats for 2015
    Fishing industry in 2015 statistics published - GOV.UK
    "Exports of fish decreased by 12 per cent to 443 thousand tonnes compared with 2014. Over the same period, 681 thousand tonnes were imported, a fall of 6 per cent."

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Referendum II - What a Xmas Present!

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Thank ***** we're not heading out of that tulip!
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post

George Osborne: vote for Brexit and face GBP30bn of taxes and spending cuts | Politics | The Guardian

Cameron 'personally requested Obama's back of the queue Brexit warning'

If they had run a better campaign they probably would have won.
    As I said, your mileage may vary depending on your viewpoint. I don't see them as threats myself, but agree that the language and approach used was poor.

Here's a contrary position for a remainer to take: if, as you say, they had run a better campaign and Remain had won, would anything have changed for the people that matter? And I don't mean being in the EU, but for those people that just wanted to give Cameron and Osborne a bloody nose, if the result had been say 52/48 the other way would the government have sat up and realised that there were/are real issues to be dealt with internally within the UK? I suspect not.

Remainers have a go at Theresa May for taking 52% and extrapolating it up to 100% for a hard Brexit, but I suspect that if the results were reversed Cameron/Osborne would have taken that as 100% approval of austerity and there would have been little change within the UK to deal with that.

Until we vote in a better standard of representation, we have the politicians and the government that we deserve. On both sides of the house.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    I think this goes into the "give one in the eye to Cameron" bucket. Ironically (and your mileage may vary here depending on your viewpoint) they were then manipulated, lied to, and deceived by the leave campaign. There was no ying without yang in the referendum campaign, and that goes both ways.

Can't stand Trump myself but the one decent thing he's done in office was to cancel TTIP.

Where is it now? Coming to a US-UK trade deal near you, real soon

George Osborne: vote for Brexit and face GBP30bn of taxes and spending cuts | Politics | The Guardian

Cameron 'personally requested Obama's back of the queue Brexit warning'

If they had run a better campaign they probably would have won.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Hear, hear!!!

Not like the snivelling bremoaners who suck greedily on the EU teat, forever being treated like the runt of the litter who should be grateful for any morsel thrown their way!

Thank ***** we're heading out of that tulip!
    Someone got out of bed on the wrong side! Funny how the Leavers are getting more and more angry now that things are going their way, makes me laugh. You won, get over it losers....

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    And they just keep coming...

Brexit Barometer: How are small businesses feeling?

Brexit Barometer: How are small businesses feeling? - BBC News

Video @ 00:57 "... one of the reasons I voted leave was because I had a belief in the country..."
    Hear, hear!!!

Not like the snivelling bremoaners who suck greedily on the EU teat, forever being treated like the runt of the litter who should be grateful for any morsel thrown their way!

Thank ***** we're heading out of that tulip!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    And they just keep coming...

Brexit Barometer: How are small businesses feeling?

Brexit Barometer: How are small businesses feeling? - BBC News

Video @ 00:57 "... one of the reasons I voted leave was because I had a belief in the country..."

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Well, if I had kept the villa, I might be living there now, retired and bremoaning about all the idiot gammons trying to ruin my UK subsidised life.
    To be fair you had no chance of keeping it in the Russian mafia country...

You got lucky to get any money for it

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I thought I had heard all the reasons by now but just now a lady on the radio came out with a new one.

She voted Brexit because she hoped it would trigger a house price crash so she could afford to buy one. I think that is the most selfish and cretinous reason so far and explains the mindset of the Leaver...
    This may be a narrow minded selfish woman, but what about JRM who's only reason for backing Brexit are his hedgefunds, making millions of profit in a hard brexit scenario, he doesn't give a fook whatsoever about taking controls, stopping immigration etc, just his personal wealth

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I voted to leave because I am an evil, and somewhat Cretinous, bastard.

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You also sold your Cyprus villa - I reckon you would have never voted leave so long as you had it...
    Well, if I had kept the villa, I might be living there now, retired and bremoaning about all the idiot gammons trying to ruin my UK subsidised life.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I voted to leave because I am an evil, and somewhat Cretinous, bastard.

HTH BIDI
    You also sold your Cyprus villa - I reckon you would have never voted leave so long as you had it...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X